Chapter 1:

I pulled my vibrating phone out of my back pocket with a huge smile plastered on my face, knowing  exactly who it is calling. "Hello?" I called hearing someones breathing through the phone. "Hey Zoe!" Alex exclaimed happily.

"I just wanted to tell you that our flight was delayed for tomorrow. Our plane is gonna leave two hours later than originally planned." 

"Awe," I started. "Well at least you can get some more rest," I laughed. He chuckled, "Yeah, that would be nice. Ashton probably wouldn't be as grumpy as I would expect now that  don't  have to wake him up so early in the morning."

I laughed again, imagining Alex waking up his best friend so early just to go on a 17 hour long flight. It was hard to imagine what Ashton would look like though considering I've never seen an actual picture of him. Alex hasn't even described him yet to me. I'd figure it would be rude to ask, maybe seeming I'm nosy.

Alex is my now 19 year old cousin. He's Australian, born and raised there. We never actually met until two summers ago when he was still in high school. Him and his mom came to visit me and the rest of our family in Texas.

I have to say, we hit it off pretty good. He was basically the Australian boy version of me. He told me how he had plans to apply for a college close to where I live and move down here also. 

Two years later and here he is, calling me to tell me about his plans for surviving the airplane rides he's gonna take to get here. Of course I couldn't be any more happier because now I can be reunited with my favorite person in the entire world. Nothing can ruin this.

Over the past few days, coming closer and closer till the day I see him, I've been wondering how his friend looks. All Alex has told me about him as that they've been friends since kindergarten in Australia. I didn't even believe him. I mean since kindergarten like that has to be some accomplishment in life. I can't keep one real friend for more than one school year and I'm on my last year of high school.

He must be just like Alex. I already know the people Alex likes to hang out with are people like me. I wonder if he's smart. Well obviously he's smart Zoe, he got accepted into the biggest college in Texas, I told myself. I guess it will just remain a mystery until I actually meet him.

After what felt like 3 hours of talking to Alex (which I really wouldn't mind in the first place), I finally hung up. So now i have to wait a little later to pick him and Ashton up. By the time they leave on their airplane it will be exactly 2pm here in Texas. Then they would arrive 17 hours later, 7am the next day. It's a little confusing, but I pretty much have a visual of when to get them.

Besides, it's no big deal if he has to call me to tell me when he has arrived. I just couln't wait for the day to finally get here! They're both gonna stay with us for a week until the day when they have to move into their dorm at the college.

I got up from my bed and made my way to take a shower. I washed my hair thoroughly while the water was hot. After a few minutes I got out the shower and wrapped a towel around my wet body and one around my hair. My hair tends to always get really frizzy after drying so I have no choice but to flat iron it or else I will look like a hairy monster. Once done with my hair, I put on a bra and a pair of panties. I also slipped on a comfy sweater and pajama pants when I realized it was quite chilly in the house. 

The last meal I ate was this morning, and now it's almost 9 o'clock. I walked downstairs, my dad watching one of his favorite tv shows. "Where's mom?" I asked him getting out ingredients to make a sandwich. He nodded his head to their bedroom, "She's sleeping." 

"Oh, not surprised," I grinned to myself. Mom was always the first to go to sleep. I don't know, I feel like i'm more like my father than my mother. You could say I'm a 'daddy's girl.' I sat down on the couch next to him. "Are you excited to see Alex?" he asked. I nodded while smiling, "very."

"You know I was talking to Linda yesterday about Alex's friend, uh, Ashton." Linda, aunt Linda, was Alex's mom.

"Yeah?" thoughts already filling my head. "What did she say?"

"He's unique..." he muttered.

"That's all?" the curiosity getting the best of me.

He simply nodded, "Just unique. I don't think she thinks it's motherly of her to judge her children's friends, she just said unique."

I finished my sandwich by then and got up to put the plate in the sink. I told my dad goodnight and hurried upstairs. It was a tiring day, I spent all day cleaning the house and buying some things to make Alex and Ashton feel welcomed when they come even though they're not actually arriving until two more days. 

 I let out a relived sigh as my head hit the pillow. I wrapped myself in my warm blankets. 

You know you're going to be living with him for a week, my thoughts interrupting my peaceful state. What if he's gross? What if he's embarrassing? 

and on and on with the questions. I couldn't help it though. Listen Zoe, he will be a great person. He has to be if he's best mates with Alex. You two will get along fine, I told myself. 

Everything will be great.