Too Late (Outcryshipping???)

I apologize if the oneshots are taking forever to write. Usual stuff. Busy with life. But in spite of that business, I want to sneak this one in.

I originally planned this as an April Fools oneshot...but it's May.

This will actually be the serious kind.

And yes...you guys read the title right. Freaking Outcryshipping.

This was suggested by Blazer_Maple . I'm so sorry this took two months.

Please don't hate us for this. We're still Contestshippers!

Enjoy, humans.

AU

--

(??? POV)

People say that you should tell people what you feel before it's too late.

But if you think about it...when is the perfect time?

You'd only know that it's too late if something happens. These happenings are inevitable. Who knows when they'll happen?

It's been two years since I last talked to a certain someone. It might seem crazy, but my feelings for her were strong.

We used to be classmates back in Petalburg High. I was the president of the chess club. I remember her being desperate to join our club. Back then, I thought she wasn't good enough. I did tell her that if she won against me, she could join. In our first match, she was easily defeated. She tried so many times, but she still landed in defeat. It shocks me to see that she's so competitive. She didn't want to back down. She did have the skill after all.

I eventually fell for her. It's weird how I did, but it is how it is. We then spent more time together. We got to know each other more. She had a weird side which I found really cute, but I never really told her that.

One day, my mother got a call from her boss saying that she would be transferred to the LaRousse City chapter of their company. That forced our whole family to move there.

I didn't want to leave the city. I didn't want to leave my chess club. I didn't want to leave May.

Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do about it.

I wasn't able to tell her how I felt. I didn't know if that was the right time. I was leaving. How was that the right time?

I thought time would make me forget about her, but no. I guess it is true when they say distance makes the heart grow fonder.

I never really checked social media or anything. I was never on any of those, and I don't have the plans on getting into them anytime soon. I mean...why spend time scrolling and reading about whatever the heck other people do when you can read a book or practice chess or maybe even play some video games?

Maybe I should have tried getting into those. Maybe I'd know. Maybe I'm just wasting time at this point.

"We are now at the Petalburg City terminal." The conductor said.

And well...it's too late to back out now.

Now that I have graduated high school, I can finally leave LaRousse and maybe see her again.

It feels weird being able to recall the directions to her house even after all this time. Maybe people in general know where their house is because her father is the gym leader.

There it is.

I wonder if she's even here. Will she remember me? Will she be happy to see me again?

As I approached the door, I saw a purple haired guy around my age come out of their house.

Maybe he was a challenger. But...how come he came out from the house and not the gym?

Maybe he's a helper? A gym trainer? Maybe Max's tutor?

He stared at me with his black eyes as if he had no idea what my business in the area was.

Well...maybe he didn't.

"If you're looking for the gym leader, he's not here right now." He said.

"I wasn't looking for-" I replied, but I was interrupted by a voice that was way too familiar.

"Paul! You forgot your jacket."

She smiled at him as she gave his jacket back. Paul then had a soft smile on his face for quite a while there. He then looked at me, causing her to do the same.

"Wait...Drew? Whoa. It's really you! I didn't know you were back in Petalburg." She said.

"Well...I'm just visiting." I replied.

"Cool!" May responded. She then noticed Mr. Purple hair looking at us. "Oh...right, Paul, meet Drew. He's an old friend back in high school."

Old friend, huh.

"Hm. So you're Mr. Chess Club president?" Paul said. I guess May has been telling him about me.

That's good...right?

"Umm...it's getting late now, don't you think?" May said. "I'll go back now. Take care you both!"

She then pinched Paul's cheek and went back inside.

What was that all about?

Wait...are they...no...that can't be.

After that, I made my way out as well. I noticed Paul was following me, and so I stopped.

"Look. I just want to tell you something important, and I'll leave you alone." Paul said. "I just wanted to make sure May doesn't see this."

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Why did you come here? May is already happy with her life, but then you have to come along. It may not have been obvious in her reaction a while ago, but you have no idea how much you wrecked her. You're pretty pathetic, you know." Paul said.

Wrecked her?

"You left her like she was nothing. She felt something strong for you. A simple goodbye wouldn't cut it. She cried for days when you left. She really loved you, and she thought you felt the same." He continued.

Felt something strong...but how?

"And you may say that you're here to fix things. If you weren't, you wouldn't be coming here in the first place, now wouldn't you? I'm afraid it's too late." He ended.

Too late?

"I guess you're dating her. It's obvious from the way you reacted." I replied.

"Correct." He responded.

"You know...I had no idea she felt that way. It's just that...I didn't want to assume." I said.

"Look. I would punch you in the face, but I won't." Paul said. "I'm leaving and I suggest you do the same."

"Paul."

"Hm?"

"Fine. I'll leave. But please. Look after her."

And as I said that, I left and went to the station.

I guess it's really too late.

Or...is it?

--

Oh my goodness this is probably the most anti-Contestship thing I've written. Ugh. Please don't hate me.

Paul was kinda OOC, but whatevs.

Did you guys still like it?

I don't know why. I'm in a serious mood right now.

Sequel or nahhh?

The sequel might take two months.

Bye.