Page 2

Three hundred and sixty four days ago i died from an animal attack, or at least thats what everyone thinks. What i didn't realise, and most mortals don't, is that monsters are real. I know that sounds so bloody cliche but they do, a majority of myths and legends are true and out there. Alot have gone extinct, rest in peace Nessie, but there are stragglers out there. Most hide from humans, finding them a menace but putting up with them, some integrate with humans and blend in finding them quite pleasant, some on the other hand are as predatorial on the living as i was for doughnuts and believe me...i went through those delicious bastards like i had no limit. That's where we come in, reapers. Undead with magical abilities that we wield to defend, watch over and guide humanity all across the world. You can say that we clearly don't do a good job given the amount of conflict in the world. Well thats out of our area of influence, apparently they made an oath long ago to never interfere with human matters and only interfere to protect from the supernatural and thus keep humanity ignorant. Truth be told we don't do much anymore. Sure we fend off a couple vampires here and there, scare away revenants, shoo away ghouls and keep the trolls asleep. Speaking as someone who had their intestines eaten out by a dire wolf like i was a spaghetti bowl, reaper's are in decline. A Reaper can only be chosen when someone is killed by a supernatural attack, from there another reaper must defeat the killer and resurrect the victim and thus take on the role as their new mentor. Decline is happening because reapers are nae bothering to take on apprentices, getting cocky and dying as well as general drop in monster related deaths recently. Luckily for me after i was done being hollowed out by that big fur-ball, Adrian managed to kill it and bring me back. He now teaches me everything i need to now to be a reaper as an apology for not saving me.

I jump down from the tree and walk over to him. "So where we going?" i ask him, dusting myself off.

"We've got a friend down there, we're gonna pay him a visit and ask how his days been."

"you mean you're gonna kick his ass and tell him to get lost?" Adrian was good at that.

"Almost" He chuckled as he began walking off. "He's a ghoul, and you're dealing with him this time"

"Erm...come again?" Well bugger. for those of you who don't know, a ghoul is an undead fiend who feasts on human flesh. kinda like a zombie except they can blend in with humans and even seem alive except at night, legends conflict on alot of areas but theres a summary of the truth.