Three

I hear my mom enter the front door as I finish buttoning up my blouse. "One moment mom." I call before grabbing my purse and heading down the stairs.

"Oh my god sweetie. What is that?" She yelps, pointing at Fluffy.

"That's the old neighbors cat, found her yesterday." I pull a dark blue blazer over my arms and slip on some black heels. "The name is Fluffy."

My mother's face grimaces as I mutter those words. "Fluffy? What an awful name." She bushes away the purring feline with her gray flats and fixes her posture. I open the door for her then follow her out. "You look amazing baby." She kisses my cheek as I close the oak door behind me.

"Thank you mama. So do you as always." I enter the passenger seat of her black BMW and buckle up. "So where is this place?"

She turns onto the road. "Well, since you've met the boss before. We are meeting at the facility where you will be working. My building is near it but above ground." My face contorts with confusion.

"Above ground? You don't me-" She cut me off as we hit the main road.

Her light brown bun bobs as she nods her head. "Yes, you should be working under ground." A smile lights up on my face.

"That's amazing." I sing, making my mother laugh.

It was quite the ride, passing trees to a secluded area. Mom says it's because they don't want people to get near it. We finally reach a large fence surrounded by guards. I admit, I was a bit intimidated. They wore camouflage print army suits with machine guns, their sunglass covered eyes following the car I sat in. A man stops us at heavily fortified gate. "ID?" He asks as my mom rolls down the darken window. She hands him her card, which he reads and hands back. His gaze suddenly turns to me. "What about her?"

My mom digs into her purse, pulling out a piece of paper. "She is here for an interview with Mr. Venuchi." She gives him a bright smile as she hands over the document. A blood red seal signifies that he has approved it. The guard nods and hands her back the paper.

He takes a couple steps back and signals the post to open the gate. "You may continue." My mom closes the window and we advance into the compound. My eyes travel past the copious amount of guards that tread over the grass to a dark gray tower. Several men plus a sniper perch of the high building, surveying every part of the land.

I turn back to my mother. "Why are there so many guards?" She kept her eyes forward as she turns in front of a small building that was deeper into the cluster.

"When you get the job, you will find out what you need to." Well that was vague. A man in an expensive looking suit waits at the entrance along with a man in a valet uniform. My mom stops the car and gets out, motioning me to follow.

I pat down my lap as I approach the elder man. He sticks out his hand and I envelope it with mine. It was clammy. "Good afternoon Miss. Abeln. How are you?" His teeth were yellowed, probably from the coffee he stunk of.

"Great Mr. Venuchi. How are you?" I tuck my hands behind my back and give him a polite smile. I listen as our car drives off into a parking lot.

He takes a step back, pointing towards the open metal door. "Great, come this way." I nod and follow after my mother down into the darkened concrete stairwell. "Sorry for all the secrecy, we are a very important company." I nod, taking a small glance at the guards that stood near the walls, studying our every move. We got to an office, where he sat down at a desk and we sat on the other end. "So, tell me, what are your majors?"

"Genetic science and psychology." This room was intricately decorated, with a painting of the founder behind him. Strange, the man had a weird arm. CIA and the American flag surrounded the gold rimmed art. A glass bottle of alcohol and a coffee maker was on the right side of me, the smell of both stung my nose.