One

Years later

This is what dad and mom wanted, to be American heroes. Dad was a soldier, fought and died in Afghanistan. Mom works with the CIA military. That's where I am right now, finishing up my degree in genetic science and psychology in the CIA academy. My mother is my hero, the only person, besides my dad, that I look up to. Though they were never home, I shared many fond memories whenever they happen to stop by. My childhood was filled with combat training and school, I had no time for a social life. It didn't matter to me though, barely anyone understood my life. I had a few friends here and there, nothing to drastic. Some might say that I was deprived as a child. I tell them it only gives me more options as an adult to pursue my dreams. My dream to follow in my mother's footsteps, work with the CIA as a scientist.

They finished calling us all up, handing us our degrees and pinning us. Now it was time for the party. My mom wasn't here though, she was off training men and women to serve their countries from the inside. I sit here, alone at a table. Silence was always something I loved, noise was the bane of my existence. Growing up, it was always quiet. Only the TV my nanny always watched when looking after me.

"Sup Beth." A male voice booms from above me.

I don't need to look up to know who it was calling me. "It's Beck, I've told you this many times." I blandly reply to him. Anthony Bicmen, idiot but an amazing student. He does his best to annoy me.

"Don't care. Why aren't you dancing? Tonight is for celebration." He sits down next to me, nudging my shoulder slightly.

I push away from him, he really wasn't one for obeying personal space. "We have know each other for several years, you should know by now that I'm not a party person. I just want this day to be over, so I can go work with mom." He huffs in annoyance. He has heard this so many time. Anthony also happens to by my only friend here.

He grew up on an army base, constantly moving around from state to state. He understands what it's like to have parents who were too busy protecting the peace to spend time with their children. At the age of twelve, his mother died when a bomb dropped a few feet in front of her. His father, home for the funeral, got hit by a drunk driver. A sliced achilles disabled his ability to walk, and he was sent home.

Anthony was a brilliant person, wanting to make a difference. Our goal is to help humanity by fixing their genetics and taking out bad genes. Their have been few cases where it has worked, so we never lost hope.

"Your mother is going to have you work in the labs, don't worry." He gives me a reassuring smile as his dark brown eyes sparkle with joy. Sending him back a lopsided grin, I place the empty glass on the white clothe table. I stand up, straightening out my black suit, and give him a silent good bye.

The drive home was a silent and comfortable one, the sound of tires against the dark road brought peace to my aching mind. I wonder where mom works? A place with a lab I presume, she always said when I graduated she would put in a good word at the head office. Upon entering my driveway, I turn off the car and step out into the crisp night.

The diploma made barely a sound as it hit the kitchen table, my attention diverts to the mail. Bills, coupons, ohh twenty dollars off at the market. I also put them on the table before entering the bathroom.

I quickly used the toilet before stripping and stepping into the shower. The hot water falls down my back in light streams as I wash my blonde hair. The scent of green tea fills my nose as a bubble of soap gets in my blue eyes. "Ow." I mumble loudly as I desperately try to get it out.

I wrap my body in a clean white towel before exiting the bathroom, a toothbrush sticking out of my pale lips. The beads of water tickled the small hairs on the back of my neck as my head softly moved. I finished brushing my teeth and used mouthwash to finish off anything I had missed, then changed into a pair of black underwear and a loose tee.