Chapter 5

Mike and Sarah sat at the table having breakfast while their mother watched the morning news. "The Seashell gas station store was demolished today by a sedan. The street cameras have caught footage of the accident." The reporter cut to a scene of the sedan Mike was in moving at extreme speeds, and crashed into the store. It was then that he saw how lucky he was, the car was inches away from the pumps.

"Strangely enough, the sedan was occupied by-- And he scores! Kobe Bryants, with a spectacular shot from half line, and -- Hey God it's me Margret -- Save..... Martha..... -- Ready to go Ferb?"

Mike stood frozen in place, continuously switching the channels. "Hey! What did you do that for Michael? I want to watch the news." His mother said as she stared at him in shock.

"Uhhhh. I wanted to watch cartoons, the news is boring anyway."

His mother sighed as she grabbed the remote from him and flipped back to the news. "The driver has still not yet been identified, but police say they've never seen anything like it. I'm Chip Chapman, and more in the news when we return."

"I don't know what is into you, I missed the story." His mother said, looking at him in disappointment. The shrill ringing of the wall-mounted telephone burst through the short silence. "I will get that." Mike's mother said as she silenced the phone by picking it up.

Sarah got up from the table. "I gotta head to school now." She said as she walked towards the door. Sarah stopped in front of the door, and turned to face Mike, making sure her mother was out of earshot. "Mike."

"What?"

"I don't want you to kill anyone. At all."

"Wha- why would you think I'd kill anyone?" Mike asked, sitting up straight in his seat.

"The other day I saw what had happened before he pushed you into the station. You were about to electrocute him further. That could have killed him. I'm pretty sure you knew that too." Sarah replied, a serious look on her face.

"Psssh, no...It would have just..... Hurt him some more. Look, I had it under control."

"You almost killed a man."

"I'm not a very good hero, Sarah." Mike said.

"Well you better become one Mike. I don't want you to turn to the dark side."

"Alright...... I promise, upon my life, to never kill a human being as long as I live."

"You'd better keep that promise." With that, Sarah stepped out the house and continued her journey to school.

"Heh, she never said I couldn't kill aliens, with all the weird stuff going on there's bound to be some alien attack sooner or later."

Mike leaned back in his chair. His mother had came back and informed him that she didn't want him to go to school for the next week, and he had nothing to do now. After watching TV, he went upstairs to his room and began thinking. If I need to be a hero, then why not start now?

=================================

A few minutes later Mike was standing in his room, looking at himself in the mirror. He had his handkerchief over his face, and a hooded sweater. He had put on blue and black gloves and his pants were baggy. It was a terrible costume in his opinion. Maybe he should have asked Sarah to make him a suit, but he had seen what she could do with a needle and thread, and he isn't sure he wants to look like a mangled bluebird. Then he remembered something. The belt. He forgot it. Red Flare apparently hadn't missed it, and he was gonna be a hero anyway. Why not have a cool utility belt.

He ran to his closet and opened the door. A pillow lay underneath the clothes and shoes. After searching through the pillow case, he finally pulled out the golden object. Mike froze. He remembered what happened the last time he put it on. It took him a good while to get it off. He finally swallowed his doubts and put the belt around his waist. He slowly pressed the button as he did before. The same female voice was booming through the room.