Section 1 - Article 3

Article 3 - A possible universal truth on the existence of God? – A western and eastern comparison

Foreword of article: Statistically, it is definitely easier to believe in a Creator Who created everything than random forces putting things together. And since humans are able to use logic (a statistical miracle on its own right), it is necessary to use the ability to think and search for meaning. If there is a Creator, there must be evidence of the creator or the creation process. Yet, it seems that interpretation of the observations and prejudices determine which side we support. If we start off with a close-mind, believing that there is no God, then we are most likely to find evidence (or lack thereof) to support that belief (self-affirmation is a psychological thing that we do). Therefore it is not possible to analyze things around us objectively based on the assumption that we would be closer to the truth. The "lack of evidence of a God" can be used by the atheist to prove there is no god, and also by the believer that the created cannot prove the Creator. Perhaps humans have not reached the ability to discover the truth entirely, but given the above analysis of creation and evolution, it should be clear that it is just as unscientific to dismiss the presence of a personal Creator as it is to dismiss the absence of one; for no one can prove either way scientifically. As such, the universal truth has to be approached in multiple methods including culture, current belief systems and history.

This essay was originally written from my own observation of Chinese culture and philosophy during an elective course in Chinese Philosophy in Fudan University, Shanghai China. Therefore this is perhaps one of the more academic writings in this section. This article is included to show the collaboration of non-Christian/Judaic sources for a universal truth.

In the present world, there is a polarization of culture, religious beliefs, philosophies, and ways of life. Although many smaller groups are present, one major polarization falls neatly into Westernized and the Oriental. Both ends of this spectrum almost seem to rival each other despite the fact that westernization is slowly gaining its niche into every corner of the world. It may be a matter of time before the oriental way finds its way into the rest of the world with the rise of China as a superpower. Although both may seem to be antagonistic to each other, they may not be that different when tracing their roots. There is little doubt that the current western way is heavily influenced by Judaism and Christianity (both of which were middle-eastern in origin) (Weber M, translated in 2002), and that the oriental way is derived from its dynastic beliefs, philosophy and wisdom. Assuming there was no interaction during the development of the western and the oriental, this similarity in its roots may therefore point to a universal objective truth. This essay will therefore first briefly discuss the development of western and oriental thoughts, their similarities, and how they may have a common origin. Thereafter, a conclusion on a universal philosophy/truth would be discussed, and how perhaps, by merging both ways, it may be possible to find an objective interpretation. For the purposes of this essay, a Chinese perspective will be taken.

Oriental thoughts can be best traced in China – one of the 4 oldest civilizations in the world. In China, the widely acknowledged order of the oldest dynasties are Xia, Shang and Zhou (Xia Shang Zhou Chronology project by China in 1996). During the Shang dynasty (1600-1046BC), religious worship was the focal point of the civilization. Many of the practices were full of strict rituals, sacrifices and other extravagant practices. Despite methodological criticisms on the actual dating of the dynasties (Keenan DJ, 2002 & 2007; Lee YK, 2002; Li X, 2002; Stephenson FR, 2008), historians agree that the Shang dynasty was highly involved in the worship of a single deity/god (Shang Di, roughly translated to Supreme Emperor or Lord God). Therefore, the Shang dynasty could be said to be monotheistic. The famous oracle bones (ancient writings on shells), agreed to predominantly originate from the Shang Dynasty, provide evidence of the first Chinese writings and thoughts. Excavations of Shang Dynasty sites have further found evidence of human and animal sacrifices such as those found in the tomb of Fu Hao (Patricia E, 2006). In some of these excavations, some statues found were likely to once be living animals and humans immobilized alive (Yan S, 2006).