Section 1 - Article 10

Article 10 - Disasters, pain, and suffering

This article was written to provide another perspective on pain and suffering. Although aspects of pain and suffering has been mentioned and addressed, the answers may not placate some devout Christians or their friends. This article here draws from the account of Job and a reflection on the sufferings and pain that the apostles, and the Lord Himself had to go through.

It is not uncommon for people to ask why there would be pain and suffering if there was a God, and why He would permit them. Part of the reason is that people have gone away from God. If one was to walk away from the fire place, cold and darkness would creep in. However there are times when devout believers or innocent beings (babies) go through evil times. One prominent example recorded in the Bible is that of Job, a godly man, who had everything taken from him. This negates the oversimplified fireplace answer, showing that the question on pain, suffering and disasters is a difficult, yet, very important question that deserves acknowledgement. Atheists may ignore it, for they cannot explain why bad things happen since everything is a result of chance and random collision, or man-made actions set in course (pollution, wasting resources and so on). Atheism does not and cannot address evil, but since evil underlies pain and suffering, they are left with no explanation. If the atheist accepts and acknowledges evil, eventually the atheist must also accept good. Following that logic further, there is no choice but to acknowledge a supreme judge.

In the midst of natural disasters, and in extreme pain and suffering, man is forced to go back and look at his inner being or personal philosophy, and consider what they truly believe in. Those who believe turn to prayer and the Almighty, those who believe in a trading session with God, would do good deeds and self-sacrificing acts to try to redeem themselves. Those who are selfish and greedy would take the time to rob and plunder. Also, those who are more subject to their natural pangs may steal for food. Pain and suffering forces one's deepest beliefs to surface, and the nature of a man is exposed. Perhaps that is the reason for end time tribulation; for judgment. There is very little hypocrisy in extreme pain and devastation, if one lies to be delivered from pain, he has compromised. It is the ultimate test of human personality and one's deepest core beliefs. Martyrdom reveals the strength of one's belief till death and amidst torment. Some may lie to deny (just as Peter first did), and this is the result of the fear of death overriding love and loyalty. One who is convinced that his cause was stronger than death (Peter saw Christ triumph over death, and he died in the strong trust and belief in Jesus), will naturally go through all the pain and suffering without compromising. People are forced to acknowledge what they believe, and what they doubt.

The topic of pain and suffering is very difficult, and there is perhaps no satisfactory answer for everyone. The exposure of one's true nature is one answer that the account of Job suggests, yet one should also note that heroes are created during this time, because these people emerge selfless to perform self-sacrificing acts, showing what they truly believe and appreciate. In fact, a true believer, like Paul, may even appreciate suffering as a chance to glorify God. Next, is the discussion of another answer to suffering.

All too often, we forget to be thankful to God for the things that He makes us go through, especially when suffering. Suffering is sometimes a call for us to go back to God, even more so when suffering results from the belief in Him. Deliverance is the initial comfort to the called, but there comes a time when the baby weans of milk and grows up to eat solid food. The called, understands the call of God through suffering. Suffering is all too often, the flashing memo for 'matured' Christians to do His will. In reality, humans have difficulty remembering God in complete worldly bliss. What else is there to ask of God when one has every human need satisfied and met? Very few remember the Lord in such conditions. King Solomon, with his wealth and harems, turned from the Lord Who blessed him greatly. Only a few, blessed by the Lord in wealth and power, did not forget the Lord i.e. Abraham, Job, David and some of his descendants.

One must remember that many of these faithful patriarchs had also gone through difficult times. Abraham was called to get up and leave his home. David spent much of his life running from his enemies, and Job was tested thoroughly. We must remember that the Son of God - the Lord Jesus Himself came to Earth to suffer; not to enjoy the luxuries of life. Similarly, His disciples suffered in prisons, persecution and even got stoned for the Lord. In fact, Paul counted his suffering for Christ his gain. Worldly gains did not cross his mind to be equated as rewards for his faith, but rather were regarded by Paul as losses.

On this note, one too many churches have preached that the belief in the Lord would bring blessing, comfort and deliverance from suffering. Unsurprisingly, believers of such doctrine have been regrettably, incorrectly programmed this way. Their comfort and meeting of needs became markers of God's approval for their lives. Suffering of all sorts, even if it is for the Lord, became inevitably viewed as something evil. Where do these Christians go when they come across suffering? They mistakenly believe that it is not from the Lord. And they never grow spiritually to understand the path of the disciples and patriarchs.

In spite of understanding that suffering can be used by God to teach us, many who are fearful may thus run away from God. To this, Jesus said, "He who stands firm till the end will earn the crown" and "narrow is the path to salvation, broad is the path to destruction". In His grace, the Lord does not put us through more than what we can bear, and would not put the unprepared Christian through these trials. Nonetheless, Jesus has already warned that His path is not easy, or else there is no need to "stand firm", or state that the path to salvation is "narrow".

When one reads the OT, suffering was also used by the Lord to bring the Israelites back to Him when they turned away. Many of the patriarchs and disciples gained understanding of the Lord through suffering for His cause. The early church grew under persecution. In fact, suffering is a landmark for Christendom, and in a way, is a reminder and declaration of the believer's dedication for the Lord.

Regardless of the individual purpose God sets for us when we suffer, let us acknowledge that His ways are higher than ours. And whatever it is, in our anguish, we have comfort that He is there with us, and that it is not without a purpose.