Chapter 2

After what seemed like an hour of running. I finally stopped to catch my breath.

      Having never exercised with the rest of the pack I could not run as far, for as long as the others. Most could run for at least three hours. I could only run for one.

     I sit by a nearby creek and rest for a while. Once I feel more energized I stand up and start to walk. All of a sudden a thought comes to me. 

Why don't I try to shift.

      You see I have never shifted before except for my very first time, the pack never let me after that. I lay my stuff down and pull my clothes off because I don't want them getting ripped. I focus all my attention on a picture in my head, my wolf and slowly I start to hear and feel my bones crackling and popping in and out of place. I scream in pain. It's been so long since I've shifted that it feels like I'm getting ripped apart and put back together.

      Once the popping stops I walk to the edge of the creek and l look at my wolf form. I was always told my wolf form was hideous, that I looked like a mangy rat. Honestly, I don't look half bad. All of my paws are bright white, with what I can closely describe as Husky like markings in black and white all over my body. I am quite frail due to only getting scraps at the pack house but hopefully I can change that soon. 

      With one final look at my wolf form, I turn to the right and continue running down the edge of the creek until I come upon a narrow enough section to jump over and continue running for what feels like quite a time until all of a sudden I hear a little flicker behind me to the left. My neck instinctively whips over to the sound, where I see a little brown rabbit.  At that exact moment I feel a rumble in my stomach and realize its been about two days since I ate. I drop the stuff in my mouth and get down low while crawling towards the rabbit. I close my eyes and allow my other senses to take over. I can feel the wind blowing through my fur, the sound of insects, birds, and small animals. The smell of flowing water from the creek about a mile back and even the smell of a dead carcass somewhere in the distance. I focus in on the rabbit in front of me about 50 ft away, its back is facing me and I know I have a clear shot if done correctly. I stay low and slowly crawl towards the little creature, once I'm about 10 ft away I shoot towards the rabbit taking it into my mouth and before I know it the rabbit is nothing but fur and bits of bone and blood. 

     Feeling satisfied with my meal, I walk around until I find a space that feels safe and I lay down and decide to take a small nap.