The Clan

"Ah, you must be the two girls we’re staying with,” the tallest one spoke, “Welcome to The Clan, we were all housed together last year. I’m Carter and you are?”

“I’m Phoebe, and this is Roxy,” Phoebe spoke up first, Roxy was still taking in the sight before her. Seven boys, each one looked different then the last.

“I’m Charlie,” a tall, but not as tall as Carter, dark haired boy spoke bringing Roxy back to reality, “But everyone calls me Prince,”

“Why?” Phoebe asked the question that was running through Roxy’s mind.

“It’s cause he’s the son of the Headmistress, the prince of the school,” a boy slightly shorter then Charlie spoke, he had shaggy blonde hair and deep blue eyes, and his eyes never left the book he was reading while he spoke “I’m Max, by the way,”

“Yes but we call him bookworm,” Prince said, tousling Max’s hair.

“Just Worm for short,” a boy taller then Max, but shorter then Prince, with dark hair and green eyes spoke, “And they call me Steve,” he said with a wink.

“I’m Dylan” a short boy with dirty blonde hair said, “And that’s my twin Jamie,” gesturing to a boy who looked almost exactly the same. 

“Hi,” Jamie said shyly. 

“I’m Will,” said a boy, just a few inches taller then Roxy, he had black hair and green eyes.

“And I’m Gregg,” a small boy said pushing his way to the front of the crowd of boys so they could see him. 

“Well, I don’t think I’ve met any of you before, what grades are y’all in?” Phoebe asked.

“Me and Charlie are seniors,” Liam said, “The twins are sophomores, and everyone else is a junior,”

“Really?” Phoebe asked, “Me and Roxy here are both sophomores! She wasn’t here last year, but I think I would’ve remembered at least seeing some of you around campus, especially after all the parties me and my friends threw,”

“Wait, were you one of the crazy house girls?” Prince asked her incredulously.

“Why yes I was,” Phoebe said. Prince looked at Carter. Carter looked at Prince.

“We got a crazy house…” Prince started

“In our dorm….” Carter finished. Then they both whooped and jumped up and down.

“Well, I was just about to make some lunch for me an Roxy, if y’all’d like to join us, I’m sure I can find something for all of us,”

“That would be lovely,” Steve said. 

“Alright then, y’all go drop off your bags, and me and Roxy will make us some lunch,” The boys piled up the stairs to their rooms.

“Well come on then, we better go make lunch,” Phoebe said and started walking back to the kitchen.

“What do you think we should make? What about hamburgers? I think I have stuff  for hamburgers,”

“Alright,” Roxy said, “That sounds good,”

Phoebe found the ground beef lettuce onion and tomato and she set them on  the counter and both girls started working. Phoebe sliced tomatoes and onions, while Roxy broke up lettuce. Then they both started making patties from the ground beaf. They were talking and laughing while they cooked, Roxy couldn’t remember the last time she smiled this much. But then, she could. It was the day her mother died. Suddenly she became quiet, but just as she stopped talking, seven voices filled the room. The boys had come back down stairs. As they walked into the room, Roxy tried to leave it. She made her way over to the door and was about to leave

“Where you going Roxy?” Phoebe’s southern accent spoke over all the other voices in the room.

“Umm,” she said, Carter walked over to her and whispered into her ear.

“You okay?” he whispered. She nodded her head, yes. 

“No, you’re not, I can tell, come on let’s talk,”

“Fine,” she said, he put his arm around her shoulder and lead her into the hall and up the stairs.

“Which one is your room?” he asked and Roxy pointed to the door at the end of the hall. He opened the door to her small room. Roxy flopped onto the bed, and Liam sat on the edge. 

“So what’s up?” he asked.

“Nothing,” Roxy said.

“See that’s the thing, I can tell something is wrong. You don’t have to tell me, but don’t tell me nothing is wrong,” he said quickly.

“Alright, well there is something wrong,” Roxy said quietly, “Do you really want to know what it is?” 

“Actually, I do,” he said.

“Well if you really want to know, three weeks ago my mom died,” Roxy said sharply.

“Oh wow, I’m sorry,” he said.

“Yeah,” she said.

“Do you wanna talk abou…” Carter started

“No,” Roxy said interrupting him.

“Do you wanna go get some lunch?” he asked.

“Phoebe is already making hamburgers,” 

“Yes, but do you want to go find something else,” 

“Like what?”

“Well there’s this little dive right off of the east side of campus, we could go there,” Carter suggested. 

“Maybe later, I would feel bad leaving Phoebe after she made those hamburgers,”

“Dinner then?” he asked.

“Is this a date?” Roxy asked, slightly embarrassed.

“No, you just look like you could use a little fun,” A little fun, she thought over his words. They were some of the exact ones she used to use before her mom had passed.

“Sure,” she said and she smiled.