Chapter 17

I walked away from the house and along the road. I could feel the rain begin to come on and hugged my cardigan close to my body. My phone began to vibrate in my pocket but I didn't answer it because I knew that it would be Joe. I began to cross the road as the rain got heavier. My phone vibrated again and I reached into my pocket and took it out. I heard a car horn coming from behind me and I looked up. I didn't have time to react before it hit me. My phone flew out my hand as I landed on the ground. Cars stopped and people came running over to me.

“Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I didn't...” I heard a man say as he hovered over me.

“Someone call an ambulance,” A women shouted.

I heard the vibrating of my phone and looked along the road at it. The women reached for it and answered it.

“Hello?” She asked. “No, she's...she got hit by a car. We're waiting on an ambulance coming. We're at...”

“Abbey!” I heard someone shout.

I heard running as someone came rushing over to me.

“Abbey,” Joe said as he crouched down in front of me. “Baby, don't move.”

“Alex...” I managed to say.

“He's in the house. Sarah's coming to get him. Please, just don't move.” He said as the rain came down.

“I love you,” I said closing my eyes.

“Abbey, please. You're not leaving me. Not like this,” Joe cried. “Abbey, I love you.”

“Joe, what...Abbey?” I heard Sarah say as she fell to her knees next to me. “What...?”

“He hit her with his car,” A women said.

“He...” Joe said. “You ran my girlfriend down?”

“I didn't see her...she came out of nowhere.” The man said.

“I'll...”

“Joe leave it. Let the police deal with him,” Sarah said as ambulance sirens grew closer to the street.

That was the very last thing I heard before I became unconscious.