Chapter Three.

"Eloise, they're--,"

"People down there." I finished. We both stared at each other, straining our ears to try and make out what they were saying. But it was impossible, they were miles down. But, how'd they get there? Were they there before the outbreak? How long have they been there? The Guardian would be more than pissed if she found out about this...unless she already knew?

"We have to go notify the Sentry, the Guardian must know about this," I start. I start walking past Asher, when his hand is suddenly grabbing onto my wrist. I halt, but before I can protest, he's shushing me. I listen, and the sudden sound of heavy foot steps echo through the night. Ash and I exchange alarmed glances, and we duck into a nearby bush. It was more than one person, that was obvious. I peered behind the bush to get a glance, without being noticed.

For a second, I'm convinced it's the Sentry, but then four men come into view, each carrying some sort of weapon and dressed head to toe in black. Thugs. At least, that's what Chasers call 'em. I strain to get a better view of them, but because it was nearly pitch black outside, I couldn't exactly make out their faces. Asher was trying to whisper something, but it was too quiet for me to hear. I wave him off, and lean closer to see the leader of the packs face. He steps in front of his comrades, and they all halt. He pulls his hood down and for the first time, I get a good look at his face. I frown. It's the guy with the blue hair, the one in the crowd from this morning.

"Okay, you all know the drill; quick, quiet, and careful. The last thing we need is another slip, like the one Fire Heart, took today." The crowd suddenly went quiet at the sound of the name. Blue-Haired-Dude swallowed, but then continued. "She was a fresh member, too new to know all of the regulations. She fucked up. She should of been more careful. By the time I had reached the commotion, it was too late; there was nothing I could do. She had already said too much." I glanced at Asher, confused as hell. He frowned and shrugged his shoulders. He was obviously just as lost as I was.

"We can't afford anymore mistakes. Now, let's go and get this operation in progress, people!" He put his hood back on, and turned to lead the way. They had just started to make their way, and I had took a step back. I look down at Ash, as he stood up, too. He shook his head, as if to shake off our worried thoughts. I grab is arm.

"C'mmon, lets go, before they come ba--," I was cut off by the sharp sound of wind pushing by my ear, as I was suddenly being lifted off the ground. I struggled and began to choke. I was losing my breathe the more I struggled, so I stopped. Sort of. Asher was suddenly being held with a knife against his throat. It was the thugs. I was kicking and screaming, but I was trying not to move so much.

"Damian, we've got company," The one holding me shouted. Damian came into view and glanced at Asher, then to me. He stopped when he saw me and reached for the gun at his waist. I swallowed. He was going to kill us.

"Please," I tried to beg, but the plead came out as a choke. Damian shot a glance to the thug, nearly strangling me, and motioned for him to put me down. He released me, with a grunt, and I fell to my knees. I choked and gasped for air.

"Let him...go too..." I sputtered, still struggling for air. Damian nodded his head, and Ash was released. I stood up now, and looked Damian in the eye. He stared back, as if daring me to make a move. My eyes darted from him to my left. If I'm quick enough, I might just be able to slip right past him. But, would Asher make it? Probably not...it was too risky. I swallowed.

"Eloise, my name is Damian...we're not going to hurt you...my allies just thought you guys were intruders." I frowned.

"Intruders? We're in the middle of nowhere...and how do you know my name?" He shifted his foot and pulled his hood down, exposing his pale features. His thin, upturned nose. His full, bottom lip. His dark, dangerous eyes. His blue, long hair falling over his forehead.