White Loafers

Chapter Four: White Loafers  

(3364 words)

I watched them walk through the crowded bar, greeting everyone as if it had been just yesterday that we had graduated. I watched Richard as he placed his hand on the small of Brandy's back, walking just one step ahead of her, gently guiding her through the crowd. Her face was lit as only a woman deep in love could shine. She greeted everyone as if they were the very reason she was there, and Richard watched over her as if Brandy herself was a visible piece of his soul. I watched as she reached up and placed her palm lovingly on his face, caressing his chin, his eyes closed as he savored the moment of intimacy.

"I think I'm going to be sick." I said trying desperately to maintain the nausea that was originating from the the pit of my stomach.

Roxanne laid her hand on mine just as Kevin returned with the drinks. "Come on Nic, have a shot with me." She stared at me till I was forced to pull my eyes away from the heart wrenching scene to look at her.

"Okay, one, two, three, and one for me!" Kevin plunked the drinks down in front of each of us, lastly placing one down in front of him.

"On four then?" Dane asked excitedly as he raised the shot glass in preparation to drop into the dark liquid.

"Everyone remember how to do an Irish car bomb right? Lift the shot, and on the count of four, drop it in the Guinness and chug!" Ro explained excitedly, raising the tiny glass full of Baileys in the air.

"Okay, one..." Dane started.

"Two..." I smiled at Kevin.

"Three..." Kevin winked back, his eyes as ebony as the dark stout.

"FOUR!" Ro shouted as we dropped the shots simultaneously and lifted the overflowing cups to our lips; noisily inhaling the fiery concoction.

"WHOO!" Kevin yelped; dropping the mug down with a bang on the table seconds before Ro finished off hers.

The noise we were making was loud enough to attract the attention of most of the bar, the silence lasted only a moment but it was enough. I glanced over to the pool table and saw Richard's green eyes staring back at me.

I tried to shift out of view behind Kevin's shadow but he just moved to the side, mistaking my actions.

"What's over there? What are we looking at?" He smiled at me and followed my gaze before I had a chance to fixate on something or anything else. "Huh." Kevin looked back at me with a curious grin before gathering all the glasses from the table.

"I think I am going to run back and make sure that Jason isn't giving out free drinks to all the pretty ladies and then I will be right back here with some more alcohol. How's about we try a buttery nipple next?" Kevin placed his hand on the table inches from where my fingers were gripping the edge.