Hoopla in Hillcrest

Chapter Seventeen: Hoopla in Hillcrest 

(2896 words)

The ride home Roxanne and I heard of Dane's fateful encounter that lead him to Christian.  

Originally born and bred in the streets of the Bronx, Christian had grown up much like Dane, over emphasizing his male testosterone to draw away the furious temper of his father. While Dane went all American in football to keep the beatings from his father to a minimum, Christian had played semi pro baseball, both hiding the shadow of their sexuality in accolade covered closets.  

It was on Dane's last trip to San Diego for the reunion that he had finally given up hope that his father would eventually accept him. His father chose to stay in a hotel rather than remain in his home with a son he couldn't bring himself to look at. Dane returned to New York knowing that he could never fill his need with his father's approval.  

Broken hearted and in need of acceptance Dane joined a GLADD support group and it was there that he first spotted Christian. Not wanting to stray from his original intention Dane ignored the attraction and would purposely sit on the opposite side of the room to avoid any contact. But after a year of monthly meetings and heartfelt confessions Dane came to realize that it was not Christian's very attractive exterior that was drawing him in, but the understanding that they both shared the same tragic fate, of still being boys in search of their father's love.  

It was here that Dane and Christian both started laughing as they recalled the awkward first attempt Dane made at asking Christian out.  

"So the group leader cuts me off mid stammer and pulls me aside, informing me that it is frowned upon to date in the group." Dane says in between laughs.  

"So I lean over and ask him to clarify if it is just frowned upon or illegal." Christian picks up where Dane left off, his hand comfortably resting on Dane's leg.  

"Because technically, I tell the guy, I have lived my whole life frowned upon." Dane and Christian burst into raucous laughter while Roxanne turns to me and rolls her eyes.  

"You two corn balls are made for each other." She says snidely to them as they wipe tears of laughter from their eyes.  

"Yeah, I kind of thought so, that's why I asked him to marry me." Christian's husky accent couldn't hide the delicate emotion he meant by it as he grabbed Dane's hand.  

"Thanks for the invite to the wedding by the way Dane." I said, crossing my arms in mock disgust.  

"Oh stop being a martyr Nic; we weren't even planning to get married. When they passed the law we figured it would be revoked as quickly as the one in California so..." 

"So I convinced Dane that we should get married quickly!" Christian said triumphantly. 

"But we had to get married early in the morning so that Christian was done in time to watch the Yankees game." 

"They were playing the Red Sox in my defense; I believe that doesn't require an explanation, right ladies?" Christian turned to us for support.  

"So, as you can see Nic, no special wedding plans." Dane teased.  

Roxanne drove up the half circle driveway of the luxurious Grand Hyatt, parking right in front of the front entrance to unload Dane and Christian's bags.  

"So we'll pick you guys up tonight around eight?" Roxanne asked as she flagged down a bellhop.  

"I think we may get hungry before that Ro." Dane said sarcastically as he handed Christian his identification to check in.