Chapter 16: She Loved Me

Jade’s POV

      The light hits my eyes in the harshest of ways. I feel as though I have a hangover, but I know I didn’t drink yesterday. No, I did one worse; I cried my fucking eyes out and bled my heart to oblivion. I stretch and an immediate pain shoots up the length of my arm. I wince at it, afraid to look down at my arms. I didn’t. Dear God, please tell me I didn’t stoop that low. I cautiously look down at the skin of my forearm. A familiar sting assaults the tear ducts of my eyes. I bite my lip to keep them from forming, but I fail.

      “Fuck, Jade,” I say softly, sitting up despite the pain. I examine the damage; the words bitch, whore, cheater, and Tori are all staring back

at me. “Well, it’s not like they aren’t true.”

      I get up and slide off of the bed, forcing myself to stand and make my way to the bathroom. I pass the guest bedroom on the way and notice that its light is on. I poke my head through the crack and my gaze falls upon a sleeping Tori. I forget Tori’s afraid of sleeping alone in the dark.

      “Mom?” A voice calls from behind me. I turn to see Tade staring at me, Gage following behind him. I look between the two with brows raised.

      “Are you two…?” Tade smiles back at Gage and then nods at me. "That's great. I'm happy for you."

      "Gage, could you give us a minute?" Tade asks. Gage nods and heads down the stairs.

      "What's wrong?" I ask, crossing my arms and immediately hissing in pain. Tade gently grabs a hold of my arm and pulls it to him. He looks at me, pain evident in those eyes that mirrored mine.

      "Mom," he whispers softly. I yank my arm back.

      "Please don't tell," I beg. He nods and pulls me into a hug.

      "I love you, Mom," he says, burying his face in my hair because he is taller than me. "Please don't do it again."

      "I love you too." I make no promises of never doing it again because I black out and don't know that I'm doing it. I clear my throat and kiss my son's cheek.

      “I’m heading out for a while.”

      “Where are you going?” I shrug.

      “Just out.”

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

      It takes me a total of fifteen minutes to drive to Andre’s house, minus the five minutes I spent getting coffee. I don’t know why I’m doing this. It’s not as if it’s going to help my current situation any. It’s just something I have to do.

      “Hey, Jade, what are doing here?” Andre asks as soon as he opens the door. I give him the best smile I can, but I can feel how fake it looks so I drop it and sigh. He looks at my arm. I curse myself for forgetting to change shirts.

      “Don't ask, I'll tell you about it later. Where’s Sam?” I ask, walking past him and standing near the couch, but not quite sitting.     

      “Okay, then. She took Freddie to the hospital,” Andre answers, shutting the door. “His breathing’s getting weird.”

       “Oh, is he going to be okay?” Andre nods. “Andre, I need to ask a favor of you.”

      “Sure, what is it?” I bite my lip and try to take a deep breath.

      “Could you let me into Carly’s old room?” Andre rubs the back of his neck uncomfortably.