Chapter 22: Joey

Jori's POV

        "So, how's your part of the script coming alo-" The sound of glass smashing cuts Ricki off midsentence. He looks up at me and jabs a thumb in the direction of the door.

        "What was that?" He asks. I shrug my shoulders and open the door to hear better.

        "Seven, baby, you're bleeding!" Tori shrieks, panicked. I gesture for Ricki to stay in the room, and make my way down the hall. Before I reach the stairs, Seven's voice stops me cold.

        "I don't care! You lied! How hard is it to tell the truth to a goddamn five year old?!" She screams. Seven never speaks to either mom that way.

        I finally make it to the top of the stairs. I don't go down because I can see that Seven is already coming up. She stops on the middle step and says, "I'm not talking to you anymore."

        I stare at her in complete shock as she makes her way up the rest of the steps, pausing when she sees me. Her eyes are filled to the brim with tears that are dying to fall, but won't. I take a step back and fall to my knees. Seven rushes into my arms, clings to my neck, and wraps her legs around my waist as I stand up. I gaze over her shoulder to the figure down the steps; Tori. I hold up a hand to stop her from coming up the steps and then I head for my room.

        "Hey, what's wrong Little Number?" Ricki asks, placing a hand on Seven's back. She looks at him with a tiny, quickly fading smile at the cute nickname.

        "I'm Ricki," He adds, extending a hand that's far to large to shake Seven's. She grips his index and shakes, wincing suddenly and pulling away. Ricki holds up his index finger, which is now coated with blood.

        "Are you bleeding, sweetie?" He asks, gently smoothing strands of her hair behind her ear. She nods. "May I see?"

        He holds out two open palms to her and she lays both of her hands face up on them. Two very mangled, glass infested, blood coated hands stare back at us. As I sit her on the bed, he rolls a chair up to her with his bookbag open. He pulls out a first aid kit and tells her to put her hands face up in his knees.

        "I skateboard everywhere and I play tons of sports, so I know a lot about booboos," he says, explaining why he carries a first aid kit everywhere. He takes out a pair of tweezers to remove the glass from her hands.

        "Do you fall on glass a lot?" I ask, nodding to the silver grooming tool.

       "No, these are for my eyebrows," he chuckles, wiggling an eyebrow at Seven so she can giggle, which she does.

        "Oh god, you manscape?" I ask, holding in a giggle of my own.

        "I hate that word," he says. "I groom myself, okay?"

        I hold up my hands in defeat. Seven winces slightly as he pulls out one of the larger pieces of glass. He quietly apologizes before pouring peroxide on the cut. Once her hands are free of glass and blood, he wraps them in gauze.

        "There now you won't get in trouble with Jade when she comes home," Ricki says, putting away his kit.

        "She's not coming home," Seven answers softly.

        "What do you mean Jade isn't coming home?" I ask, sitting beside her.

        "She had an argument with Mommy and now they are going to break up."