Chapter 4

I lock the door of her bedroom and sit on her bed.

"I'm gonna try call my mum, alright? Stay here." Jay says as she walks into her bathroom.

I hear faint cries from Jade. I feel sorry for her.

My mum died in a car crash 8 years ago. I was devastated and wouldn't talk for weeks. Then 3 years later my brother died of cancer.

I live with my dad, but he's currently in New York at the moment, doing something for work. I call him every now and then but most of the time he doesn't pick up.

So my dad left me in a house by myself.

I manage though, he puts money into my bank account every week, and I have a job at the cafe nearby anyway.

My mum taught me how to cook, so I make myself dinner every night. I mainly eat pasta, or chicken. Just the easy stuff.

"Ryen, my mum won't be home tonight, she says they're keeping her at work until 3 a.m., so she's going to stay at one of her co-workers houses for the night, she doesn't know you're here, but if you like you could stay here the night, then leave at like seven a.m. tomorrow?" She asks, wiping off the remaining tears that were still dripping down her cheeks.

I give a small smile and nod my head.

"I'll have to borrow some of your clothes though." I say with a light laugh.

She goes over to her wardrobe and picks out some comfy clothes for me to wear.

I hear sirens and screaming coming from outside. I peak out the window at the other side of the room. People are running, and the sick people, like from the shop, are also screeching, growling, and chasing others, almost tripping over their own feet.

I close the curtains and sit back down on the bed.

Jay hands me the clothes.

"Thanks!" I exclaim, hugging her. "Can I go have a shower?"

"Yeah of course. You stink after all.." She jokes, causing me to slap her arm lightly.

•-• | •-• | •-•

I strip down out of my clothes, noticing the little droplets on blood that splattered my pants from earlier today.

I frown.

I liked those too.

I turn on the shower and step in, the warm water running down my back. I sigh.

Today has been eventful. Hopefully everything will be okay by tomorrow. By the sound of all the sirens, I don't think I should get my hopes too high...

•-• | •-• | •-•

I get changed into some clean clothes, and walk out of the bathroom, to see Jay fiddling with the T.V remote.

I take a seat next to her. She jumps as she notices my appearance.

"You scared me." She chuckles.

I grin.

"I'm just going to check the news, see if anything to do with what's going on is on."

We silently watch the T.V, then finally after 5 minutes, the thing we have been waiting for comes on.

'Due to the sudden update, we have been told people have escaped the hospital, causing an outbreak to occur. We haven't received much information to go on further, but we assure you that we will handle it. Please stay inside at all times. Lock your doors and windows. And cover up any light that dares to show. If you are heading out, please make sure you're very careful, and we suggest you take some sort of protection. That is all. Thank you, and good luck.'

I stare wide eyed out the window next to the T.V.

"Jay.." I trail off.

"We need to go." She stands up abruptly.

"Are you kidding? They said to say inside!" I say, a little frustrated but also terrified.

"Yes but if we stay here, things will get worse! We need to go Ryen! I haven't got my license yet but I know the basics of driving and I look about 20 anyway! Ryen we can do this, we need to get through this until they've sorted it out. We just need to get out of town for the night." She says sternly.

I sigh in defeat.

"We need some sort of protection." I say.

She smiles at me, happy that she won this 'argument'.

"I have knives. And a few guns from when dad went hunting a couple times. They're in the shed.." She says, listing a few things.

"You know how to use a gun?" I ask.

"Well, uh, he taught me a few things, but other than that, he told me to stay as far away from them. So I couldn't go near them." She frowns.

"Well you get the guns, knives, food and stuff, I'll grab a bunch of clothes and toiletries...y'know." I smile sheepishly.

She laughs. But nods her head anyway.

I grab two back packs from the top of her wardrobe, and put clothes in each one, making sure to put some undergarments and socks into the bags as well.

I grab a seperate bag, and go into the bathroom. Shoving two towels, her toothbrush and a spare one for me that she keeps in one of the cabinets, three rolls of toilet paper because I'm weird, and some toothpaste.

Have I forgotten anything?

Oh yeah.

I also shove a hairbrush into the remaining space in the bag.

Do we have a car?

Wait.

Okay.

Her mum has like three.

All good.

Almost 1000 words (; but I decided to end it here! Thank you for reading!

Make sure to vote if you enjoyed, and tell me what you think!

-Daisy xo