Apollo and Cupid Had A Fling?

I almost laughed. Apollo and Cupid? The only reason I believed it was because I knew how much of a flirt Apollo was and Cupid wasn't fussy with love. Besides, it wasn't the strangest thing I'd seen all day. "Okay, if you're Apollo and Cupid's kid, how were you born?" I asked. Kai flipped his hair and blushed.

"Much like you children of Athena, I was born from an idea. But rather than knowledge, Love made me. I popped out of Apollo's head." Kai answered, the apples in his cheeks fading away. I nodded. It made sense.

"That makes you a minor God," I said. "How are you mortal?"

Kai smiled sadly and turned away. Sarah Anne pushed forward and wrapped her arms around him, resting her head on his chest. Tom faced me, putting his bottle quietly back on the bench.

"When Cupid found out Kai was his, he... Wasn't overly joyous about it. Cupid believes he should oversee love, not have it. The thing he had with Apollo, it was an accident really. It was getting to Valentines Day and it was messing with Cupid's head. It was like he was drunk on all the love and in a lapse of judgment, him and Apollo well... Kai happened. So even though Apollo tried to save him, Cupid threw Kai off Olympus and as he fell, Kai hit his head on the way down and became Mortal."

I took another glance at Kai who was retreating back into the cave. His shoulders were tense and hunched over. Sarah Anne followed him in. "Wow."

Jarad wandered over, his hands in his pockets. "Are you telling her about Kai?"

Tom nodded. "And if you're wondering why we are all the way out here with him, the reason is my dad sent us to him. We are Kai's protectors."

Jarad grinned, "you probably don't remember us because we never really talked back then but we were at Camp for a while. You were much younger then, it was before Percy Jackson even arrived."

I laughed, raising my eyebrow, "seriously? Wow. How did Chiron explain your absence?"

"He told the campers Apollo sent us on a quest and unfortunately a hellhound got the best of us." Jarad laughed and mimicked getting mauled by a hound.

"Ok, I was probably too young to remember. Anyway," I said, looking round the clearing. All the monsters came back into focus, now the shock of earlier was wearing off. "What is with all the monsters? I've never seen so many tame ones. I thought it was almost impossible."

Tom looked surprised, "you've seen a tame on before?"

"Mrs. O'leary," I said, "long story short is she used to be Daedalus' hound but is now Percy's" Tears gathered in my eyes at the mention of my sick boyfriend but I pushed them away. Tom and Jared watched me in confusion but Tom continued on.

"That's impressive. Anyway, Sarah Anne somehow has this trick and we don't know fully what it is but she manages to tame every monster that manages to find us. They all love her."

I smiled slightly and watched (still with my hand close to my dagger) as the monsters ambled around the clearing. Suddenly, a scream echoed from inside the cave. "Kai!" Jared exclaimed and rushed inside, Tom in hot pursuit.

Kai screamed again, it was a gut-wrenching sound that made my insides turn. Then, something I recognised floated across the floor. Green smoke and eerily green light. It was like the Oracle. I rushed inside to see Kai floating in mid-air, his eyes growing green and a voice speaking that didn't sound like his own.

"The child of Wisdom and the Child of the Sea,
Who love each other so much, hear her plea,
In the end he will die
And the world will fall if he doesn't survive."