II

Maybe I don't hate pizza. Not that I tasted it. I could have taken three bites or thirty for all the attention I paid to my meal. The occasional brushes of Adam's warm knee against mine beneath the table sent me in an instant swoon.

For his part, he was a wonderful host, answering each and every one of my mother's questions. I was content to listen to the warm pitch of his voice and nibble on a slice of eggplant and parm. The meal was over too quickly. Adam was seeing us out when my impulsive side rises. I grabbed his hand, ignoring my mother's  smirk as I met his questioning gaze.

"I don't start school until Monday. Would you...would you like to come over and hang out this weekend?"

His eyes widened. There was another moment of hesitation before his dazzling grin washed it away. "Sure, what time?"

We exchanged numbers and I rattled off my new address with a subtle nudge from mom. It wasn't until I finish giving him my info I realize I was still holding his hand. My cheeks were red hot when I pulled away, though mom kept her laughter contained until we were a few blocks away from the restaurant.

She broke down, holding her sides. With the awkward moment over, her laugh was infectious and we both giggled until we cried. Mom wiped a tear off her face. "Oh, sweetheart, you have your father's charm," she said, leaning in to kiss my forehead. There was a tinge of sadness in her eyes when she pulls back. The words are a bittersweet compliment. My father passed when I was barely two, I don't remember him like mom does.

"It was a little embarrassing," I said, gnawing the inside of my cheek. "I hope he doesn't think I'm a massive dork."

My mother wrapped an arm around my shoulders, tucking her head against mine as we walke home. "The best relationships are the ones we take risks for."

***

While my schedule didn't pick up until after the weekend, mom was called to the local university for meetings all day Saturday. Our rented single story house was still full of boxes when Adam arrived by bicycle. His cheeks were rosy and his blond hair ruffled from the ride. My fingers itched to straighten it but I worried about coming on too strong. Numerous moves had cultivated some brass and bluster into my personality. There were no guarantees how long we'd be in place. No matter how tongue tied I found myself around a boy, I was more likely to take a chance than not. Mom described me as a strong extrovert. I call it wanting more than cardboard boxes for company.

Still, the unpacked house made me self conscious about our somewhat transient lives. I met Adam at the front door.

"Want to go exploring?" He likely knew the area like the back of his hand but it's too gorgeous out to stay inside a half finished house.

It was a warm early spring day, warm enough for the shorts that show off my calves, and sandals that bared my cherry painted toenails. Mom tried her best to land us in Rothsdale with at least a few months left in the school year but I can forgive the move with weather like this.

Adam was quick to smile, clearly receptive to the idea. There was a flicker of appreciation in his gaze as he looked me over that left me all bubbly inside.

"How bout I show you my favorite place in this burg?"

He took my hand, easily tangling his fingers with mine as he led me around the back of my house.

"You live closer to it than I do," he said, grinning at me over his shoulder. He had to stop those, my heart could only take so much stuttering.

Our new house was at the edge of town, bordering Rothsdale's limited wilderness between suburbs. A ten minute walk found us at a decent sized river, cool and green in the early morning sunlight. Adam led me to a mossy stone bridge, our steps careful over the slippery growth.

"Almost there," he said as we entered a pocket of nature on the other side of the bridge

"Almost there," he said as we entered a pocket of nature on the other side of the bridge. Twenty paces in, it's like stepping into Oz.

The surrounding trees bore the same emerald moss, like cloaks on their trunks. Spread out on either side of the dirt path was an endless carpet of vibrant blue flowers, no higher than my ankle. Their delicate sweet scent mingled with the damp green smell of deep woods. It's beautiful but there wasn't a single person in sight. It felt magical, like a secret he's sharing with me alone. Adam stepped off the path, leading me further in until we reached a gnarly old tree, its roots curled around the base like knobby bench seats. Everything was coated in flowers and moss. I could feel the spongy surface beneath my sandals.

"Want to sit?"

He slid down into a natural nook in the roots, beckoning me to join him. I didn't hesitate, snuggling in beside him. He stiffened at the close contact but when I made no further moves the tension gradually left his body. I wondered why someone so handsome would be so nervous.

"This is it," he said, looking upward through the branches. "I come here whenever I want to get away from the world."

I couldn't blame him. It's quiet here, even the wildlife was hushed. This place had the presence of a sanctuary, one he shared with me though we just met. The thought sent a blush up the back of my neck.

"It's amazing. I'm surprised half the town isn't out here," I said, running my fingers through the velvety blue flowers surrounding us.

"Nobody comes out here," said Adam

"Nobody comes out here," said Adam. "They all hang out at the park or one of the town greens."

"Shame," I said. It's their loss, and I had Adam all to myself. "What's the high school like?"

There was a momentary shadow on his face before he shook himself, launching into various tales of the local student body. His stories made me laugh and time slipped away. I didn't realize how late it was until my stomach rumbled in protest.

"Maybe we should go get something to eat," I said, the laughter still tumbling through in my voice.

Adam jumped up, offering me a gentlemanly hand. When he pulled me to my feet, our faces hovered inches apart. I looked up at him, focused on the softness of his lips, and wondered if he'll scare should I lean in the rest of the way.

He licked his lips and turned away, the moment gone. I hid my disappointment as we headed back to my house. I invited him in but Adam hesitated at the threshold. At his conflicted expression, a sliver of dread wormed through me. Had I been too forward with Adam after all?

"Riya, there's something I should tell you--"

"Oh, hello Adam," my mother piped up behind him, causing us both to jump. "Would you like to come in for lunch?"

Whatever Adam was going to say, he snapped up tight in my mother's presence. "No thank you, Mrs. Chapman. I should be going," he said and gave me a wan smile. His eyes were full of regret. "I had a wonderful time, Riya. I'll see you Monday."

He's gone before I could do more than nod. My mind swam with the unspoken possibilities left between us. For some reason his words felt a lot like a farewell.