4

The lab felt different. There was a tenser atmosphere, no one was in the hallways, and it was as if it were empty. But both Lei and Allan knew they wouldn't leave the laboratory unguarded, especially the fact that the duo most likely is correct. They continued down the barren hallways until they reached a door with the title; LAB! KEEP OUT!

Lei tried the door, pulling and pushing until she ran out of energy. Then Allan tried. With one blow he knocked the metal door down. She flinched at his force, and the collision he made with the doorway. Pushing aside the thought, they entered the lab, hiding behind a shelf holding strange liquids. The fumes were sickening, Lei could see Allan cringing beside her. They waited awhile before making their move. They didn't know if this would be their last chance to expose them, and they had no intentions on finding out. After some time, they moved away from the shelf, and headed towards another metal door. To their 'surprise', it was locked. So again Allan prepped himself for impact, and broke the door with a single blow.

There was another long corridor, with doors littered oddly around the place. Lei didn't like this one bit. On the other hand, Allan was peacefully treading through the corridor, as if he was in a meadow full of flowers. While she was deep in thought, Allan had been talking to her, thinking she heard everything. Once Lei escaped her trance, they were by another door. Allan, who was already prepared, was stopped by Lei, who by the looks of it, had an idea. Instead of breaking doors and leaving traces, why don't they find a keycard? From the sudden change in facial expression, she could tell he heard her, and disapproved.

"Allan, it's a good idea." She noticed right away he was not buying it. "If we just break all the doors and book, we'll have a better chance of grabbing it. Plus, the faster we get out, the better." Lei almost felt defeated when an idea struck. "Well, if you're so smart, then explain this. What do you think they'll do once they realize they've been breached. Hmm?" She waited for a reply, and when she didn't get one, she continued. "They repair the doors, and put more security up. At this rate, they might as well have real guards." As Allan was processing the information, they heard footsteps entering the previous room. Drats, they found out.

Lei implored that Allan do something, and without thinking, he busted another door open. They must have been heard, because they heard a voice saying, "In there!" What was inside the room didn't matter, all that mattered was their survival. They felt around the wall for a light switch, couldn't find one, so they jumped into the room blindly, hoping they landed somewhere safe. They landed on hard concrete, and scurried off in whatever direction they could find. Lei ended up by what she assumed was a closet, so she entered. Allan, on the other hand, had scurried into the other direction, and met up with an empty wall. By then they heard the door moving, and the lights flicker on. Allan found himself huddled in a corner, exposed to everyone, and Lei found herself in another passageway, hidden by the closet. She knew it would be horrible to leave him, but what else was she to do?