Freshman Year

The beginning of freshman year, god. That was even worse than middle school. I was so short I got run into all the time. But the lockers, aah, the lockers. They were in a quiet, back hallway, away from the rest of the bustling school. You got to school early. So did I.

One morning, you couldn't get your locker open. It was queit enough that I heard you sigh. I was about to help, I was gathering up my courage to finally talk to you and----you finally managed to open your locker. It was my turn to sigh.

The best part of high school was all the classes I had with you. Three.  Three, like the Holy Trinity or a fantastic trilogy or third times the charm, three strikes and you're out. I vowed to myself that this year was my last chance.  If nothing happened, I would get over you. I told my friends, Nora and Scarlett about the vow. They were thrilled. They thought it was unhealthy how long I had liked you.

Scarlett had had more boyfriends than I could count, she said she got bored easily, I think she's just afraid to settle. Nora went for the mysterious guys in hopes they they would uncover the mystery of herself. I thought I knew everything there was to know about her one moment and the next I'd feel like she was a stranger.

I wonder if you noticed how many classes we had together....