Moving On

MAYA'S POV:

MAYA'S POV:

"We need to talk about this, Maya! The longer we hold this in, the stronger it grows."

I stare blankly at Riley, sitting next to me at Topanga's on the couch in the center of the restaurant.

"Maya!"

"Riley, it doesn't matter anymore. I'm over it, I don't wanna talk about it anymore!" I mumble loudly, sipping my smoothie to have a reason to stop talking.

What is the point of talking about it?

What's done is done.

Riley inhales slowly, placing her smoothie on the brown coffee table in front of her. "Maya, you need to tell me what happened the other day at school that has flipped this switch in you!"

As I continue to slurp my smoothie, I see out of the corner of my eye Riley, growing very impatient for a response. Something in her mind clicks, and she somehow, in someway, knows.

"Does it have to do with Lucas?" She whispers softly, unsure whether she is okay with it or not.

I nod my head hesitantly, pursing my lips together.

"Maya, I know things are going to happen. We're in high school now, things are changing."

I glance away over at the window, avoiding the question.

"Nothing happened," I announce firmly.

"Something happened, Maya. I know things have been weird between us three ever since... Ever since Texas. But you've never acted like this before. Every time I mention Lucas' name you turn away and your legs get weak. Your lips quiver and..." Riley's voice begins to trail off as I turn my head back around.

"He kissed you."

My lips purse together once more as I pick my fingernails anxiously. "We were... We were walking down the hallway after school, I was going to my locker. I was putting my books up and we were laughing and talking and messing around, and out of no where, he pushed me against the lockers and kissed me."

I quickly glance at her, analyzing her face for a reaction: nothing. Her face does not show anger or jealously, more frightened and confused.

"He didn't kiss you either, did he?! I swear to God I will–"

Riley lets out a hesitant giggle. "No, Maya, he didn't!"

"Are you sure, because, fuckboy Friar does exist!"

"What's a–"

I place a hand on her arm, pushing it down from being waved frantically in the air. "Nothing, Riles."

Seconds, possibly minutes pass by where neither of us talk to one another; dead silence aside from the chatters of people around us. Riley did not sip her smoothie as I was doing, rather looked as if she would begin a sentence every five seconds, but could not think of the words.