t h i r t e e n

"Sometimes you tell someone to never call you again and then the phone rings and you hope its them, its the most twisted logic of all time". -John Mayer

t h i r t e e n

It was electrifying. That's how Samairah would describe the party hall atmosphere. Although she had been with Nikhil and other seniors while they decorated it and she had seen how it looked, it didn't compare to how enthralling it was now. The jubilant atmosphere and lavishly dressed up people present in the hall only added to its charm.

A slow upbeat music played in background while people stood in groups chatting as they held their drinks, laughter tinkling in the air and smiles were strewn everywhere. A circular gold and white stage with a ramp was ornately set at one end decorated with multitudinous roses and orchids at periphery. The background was a large silky cloth which fanned out in a design and was covered by array of balloons arranged in a semicircular fashion garnering all attention. Slight wisps of smoke percolated around the floor and the ceiling had movable lights of various hues which danced all over the place. Disco balls were strewn across the roof along with stylish cut out detailed silver drips which not only looked beautiful but also cast a gorgeous shadow effect. The corners and walls were lined with neon string lights with further added to the glow.

Chairs were arranged mostly along the walls and at periphery such that a large gap was left in front and beside the stage where most of the people stood. In fact, the chairs were hardly occupied. A food stall serving sumptuous items like veg spring rolls and Chinese noodles occupied one corner with another stall that served water and soft drinks stood close by. On the opposite corner was a photo booth, which was more crowded than food stall. Creative pictures were taken using party props such as stick moustaches, star or heart shaped stick glasses, stick hearts, stick lips, stick bow ties and many more. There was a instagram themed poster with a large square hole where the picture would be, and people would stand behind this and snap pictures. Samairah found it very creative.

Women shimmered in their sarees and men looked particularly charming in their tuxedos that night. There was an ecstatic aura and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves a lot.

"Hello", Sudhir tested the mic as he stood on the opulent stage along with Ridhi who looked dazzling in her black saree with silver detailings with a cut sleeve silver shimmery blouse.

Suddenly all the attention was turned towards them and there was a change in music as it turned lighter. Cheers erupted from the audience which was quite a lot from about hundred members that were present. In fact, there were less than a hundred members because hundred was the actual strength of both juniors and seniors combined and Samairah was sure that not everybody had come to attend the party that night.

"How is the party, guys?", Ridhi flashed her toothy smiled earning another uproar from crowd as they all answered in their own words.

"I'm glad you all are enjoying it", Sudhir piped in. Not waiting for crowd's response to halt, he continued, "Now is the most fun part of evening, lets begin the contest of Mister and Miss Fresher", he boomed into the mic and another cheer erupted from the crowd.

"So Sudhir, how do we select them?", Ridhi asked feigning curiosity.

"Well, it will consist of three rounds each for Mister and Miss. But for the first round, all the interested candidates, Misters as well as Miss will have to come up and introduce themselves. Among them, ten will be shortlisted for the next round, five girls and five guys", he explained.

Sana nudged Samairah gesturing her towards the stage. Samairah laughed at it and looked at Saba, and the both of them nudged Sana towards the stage.