Seto X Marry

Seto POV

     We're watching Momo and Hibiya's concert - me and Marry. She's perched on my shoulders in a piggyback so she can see over the crowd of the rest of the Mekakushi-dan and a few people off the streets. Today, everyone has different powers. I got Kido's, one that makes you disappear at will. Ayano got Kano's, Kido got Marry's, Kano got Hibiya's, Marry got Momo's. Momo got  Konoha's, Ene got Ayano's, Shintaro got mine, Hibiya got Ene's and Konoha got Shintaro's. It's bad luck that Marry got Momo's because she hates crowds.

     Marry drops her head down infront of mine so her long hair falls around us like a curtain. Our noses bump.

     "Nee! Seto-kun!" She sings, "What did you use your power for today?~"

     I smile back at her cheery face. "I went out and did some birdwatching. Kido's power really helped!"

     "So you didn't scare the birdies! Yay!"

     "Yeah... How about you?"

     "I tried to make birdies come to my window," her face saddens, "but loads of people came too..."

     I can't stand seeing her sad. "Don't worry! We can try again after the concert and because it's getting late, there won't be many people out!"

     She perks up. "Really?! Thank you, Seto-kun!"

     So we do. After the concert, with a smile on both of our faces, we head up to her room. The window's already open, letting in streams of cold evening air and the last of the sun's rays. The peach curtains ripple like waves. We can hear the birds out there, chirping to each other. If I had my other power, I could hear what they were saying.

     "Right! Let's get started before it get's dark." I say, giving her my hand. She grabs it and I lead her to the window. We stand there, hand in hand, the wind blowing our hair. Dark and light. Bright, bright white.

     I give her the signal and her eyes fill in red. Usually, I'd be scared to look at them, as before I'd get frozen still if I did. But now I can gaze at them in their brilliant red colour. Only today.

     The birds come. Starlings, finches, wrens, thrushes. They flock in the room, hopping on desks piled high with books and sitting on the window-sill. It's an amazing sight. Feathers of many colours float in the air and seem to dance to a waltzing tune. Marry grips my hand tighter.

     A perfectly white dove lands on her head. She is amazed by the sight and tries to look up at it, but can't. I laugh and stroke the bird down the length of it's back. My finger traces the frame of Marry's pale face. I smile calmly at her. She looks a bit flustered.

     Once the night sets in and the air cools to a chill, we let the birds go and close the window. I have to pick the dove off of Marry's head to get it out. She's still got her mouth open in wonder. I look at her.

     I lower my voice and adopt a serious tone. I want to say something and she needs to listen. She looks at me curious, but also a little scared. I hold her hand as if to say, it's okay. I look past her face and take a deep breath.

     "I... I'm not going to wish that I could live with you forever, because that's what started this whole mess..." Tears sting in my eyes.

     "S-Seto-kun..." I can hear them in her voice, too.

     "But I want to be with you. As long as possible." I squeeze her hand, then let go and walk through the door. Tears trickle down her delicate, ashen face.

     Later she appears before me. She's smiling a little.

     "I'm not going to wish for it, either. But I'm going to make it happen!" Then she stands on her tip-toes to reach up and peck me on the cheek.

     It leaves me kind of bewildered. What a wondrous girl.