14. Sisters

Nicole's POV

     "Wait so....we adopted Zoe? What happened to Ms. Garcia and Max?" "Okay, so.....umm...." My mom starts to explain and her eyes are watering, "you know how Ms. Garcia and I became friends since both our husbands passed?" I nod, "well, she was bringing Max to his friends house and they got in a fatal accident.....neither of them made it...and Zoe was at home so the cops came to her house and explained. And since Ms. Garcia was an only child and her parents passed we were the closest she had to family. So now Zoe is a Macey too. But she isn't changing her last name." "Okay. Wait what about her dad's family?" "They haven't talked to them since Mr. Garcia passed." "Oh." I say and take a deep breath, taking in everything that has happened.

      I walk into the living room and Zoe, who is 8, runs over and hugs me. "I'm so sorry." I whisper in her ear and she cries. "Why do things like this happen?" She asks and I shake my head. "I don't know.." I respond and wipe my tears. "I just lost one of my best friends too. Sometimes life doesn't always go as planned." I add and wipe away her tears as well. "All of us are here for you Zoe. Since Lane is going to college we can move her stuff into the small spare bedroom and you get her old room, okay?" I tell her and she nods.

     Lane walks in and pulls on my pony tail as she walks by. "What the heck was that for?!" "I don't know," she giggles,"where have you been all morning?" "With Lindsey." "Sure..." "I'm serious." "Okay then. What were you guys doing?" "talking." "About?" "My trip to Florida." "Oh." She adds and my phone vibrates in my pocket. I unlock my phone and go under messages,

Shawn🎸😘💓: Hey, so r u still up for dinner later?
Me: Umm there may be a slight change in plans
Shawn🎸😘💓: ?
Me: It's a long story but I may have a foster sister now....and I have to help her move in
Shawn🎸😘💓: I can help
Me: thanks babe but it's all good in the hood
Shawn🎸😘💓: ok adorable❤️
Me: I might still be able to come tho😉
Shawn🎸😘💓: ok keep my updated

     I smile really big because he called me adorable and I realize I probably look crazy. "Who are you texting?" Zoe asks. "Oh, my friend?" "What's her name?" "It's a him." "Oh, what's his name?" "Shawn," I add and Lane smirks at me. "Okay, I'm gonna go change, I will be back," I announce and walk upstairs into my room. I put on a cute pink top and some black jean shorts. I put my hair down and add some jewelry before heading downstairs.

 I put my hair down and add some jewelry before heading downstairs

      "Your so pretty," Zoe says when I walk back downstairs. "Not as pretty as you." I smile. "Do you know where Mom went?" I ask both Lane and Zoe. "She's in the laundry room," Lane responds and I walk to the other side of the house to find her.

     When I walk into the laundry room she is switching the clothes in the washer into the dryer and I ask, "Can I go over to Shawn's?" "I would prefer if you stay here today, he can come here though. I swear you and that boy never go a day without seeing each other." "Okay and he's going on tour soon so we are spending as much time together as we can." "Ah." She says and I quickly text Shawn.