Chapter 3

Dani's pov ♡
   Obviously the car ride wasn't ideal.
Camber, the thirteen year old girl who was also in the car as us, just asked us questions nonstop. She acted like we were equivalent to a dead rat. Just looking at that girl you could tell she was popular. Dark shiny hair, tall, the constant buzzing sound coming from her phone, and pink lipstick. She was slightly younger than us, approximately one year.
I could obviously tell that Brooklyn was fed up but we did have to appreciate. I mean if I didn't see that sticker that said "hitch hikers welcome" we wouldn't be here in California laying on the beach getting a tan. Usually I get an artificial tan from Bronzed Babes Tanning Salon but of course money was tight here in California. It wasn't the state that made our budget so small, but the fact that we ran away practically and we only had each other. I scrolled through my Instagram feed which was blown up with these types of questions.
"Dani where are you!!"
"Dani where is Brooke"
"Where are u and where is Brooklyn"
"Miss ya ♡"
I ignored all the questions and sighed. I wanted to leave obviously, but I didn't want the drama and attention from it. Yes, I bet Brooklyn appreciates it but I am chill and lowkey hate too much attention.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It was getting late night and I was still on the beach. My back ached when I stood up from laying on the sand for over ten hours. I realized that the comforting clouds in the air and the salty waters had brought me in and welcomed me to this state. Even though the first few months was going to suck majorly, I could tell that I belonged here. I looked to my side to see Brooklyn curled up with her beach towel and her earbuds slowly falling out of her ears. Black mascara ran down her cheeks and I wasn't sure if it was because she was upset, or simply her lashes couldn't defeat the water.
   Brooklyn and I walked around town a bit and stopped at a pretzel shop. I gulped down my lemonade, which was a pleasant treat at the time and Brooklyn ate her cinnamon sugared pretzel. Delight lit in her eyes and I could tell my best friend was happy. I grabbed my phone and snapped a picture with flash accidentally on and she snatched it from my hands.
"Hey that's actually a good picture of me!", Brooklyn exclaimed. It truly was. The way her brown hair laid on her back and the happiness that almost made her look like a kid. Brooklyn smiled at the picture but then the color from her tan face drained.
   "We didn't even think about where we are spending the night tonight!" A chill went down my back. If anyone ever found out about how we ran away and had no parents here, they would probably call the cops and would take us back to that tiny town. I didn't even think about it......