Chapter Five - How Not To Solve a Problem

Anzu avoided everyone the following day, feeling ashamed. The story of the marriage being canceled between Atem and the Greek princess has already spread and she was getting ready to leave that morning. Atem was in the throne room with his father, the Grecian King standing before them with a mopey Anzu. The king was angered of his daughter being kicked out but the Pharaoh threatened to cut off everything with Greece if he didn't accept it. So accept it he did, dragging Anzu out who whined about marrying Atem and how he was making a mistake. The prince merely rubbed his face, sighing.

For Ophelia, she was wondering how a rose could have been placed on her bed stand twice. "Why do these keep showing up?" she muttered as she got ready for the day. Then it struck her. "Oh shit...." After getting breakfast, a worried Ophelia was pondering heavily. What if the prince didn't get over her? What if this persists. Sighing, she munched on her sweet bread slowly as she sat on the garden wall.

As the day progressed, Ophelia would begin finding a few roses here and there. Soon, Atem made an appearance. "Hey, Ophelia." The Scott jumped, spinning on her heel. Nervous as all hell, she cleared her throat and nodded in greeting.

"Atem." The prince rose an eyebrow.

"Are you alright?"

"Mhm, just fine."

"You're a little jumpy." He pointed out, wondering what has her all scared and nervous. She laughed.

"Hey, there are a lot of people who want me dead. I need to stay on my toes," she said with an unintentional wink.

"I doubt anyone would here. Especially since Anzu went back to Greece. Father called off the wedding when he found she had just been trying to get rid of you." He told her, blushing slightly at the wink. "But stay on your toes if you'd like. Never know when you're being hunted..." Ophelia blinked in surprise.

"He called off the wedding?" Atem nodded. "Well.. he gave me approval and I called off the wedding." Ophelia nodded in understanding.

"Well, good for you. I'm proud of you for taking control of your life." He nodded.

"You... You helped with that, you know. I wanted to make a name for myself." She smiled at him.

"Ah, I merely said words. You're the one who took them to heart." She walked forward and placed a gentle hand on his chest, right above his heart. "You listened to this. Remember what I said about your instinct? This is where it lies." She suddenly smirked down at him, "I might just make a survivalist out of you yet."

He chuckled, looking up at her, his crimson orbs digging deep into her own eyes. His lips twitched and he finally averted his gaze. "Well... What are you doing right now?" She arched an eyebrow and tilted her head in confusion.

"Eh?"

"Well... You always seem to be doing something," the prince chuckled. She gave him an odd look before laughing.

"Em, eating?" she giggled, holding up the last of her lunch. He rolled his eyes.

"Afterwards, silly! Or would you like to try your hand in the palace garden maze?" She grinned.

"That sounds exciting and could very well end horribly. Let's go!" Atem laughed at her words, nodding. He slowly took her hand, leading her to the maze, pretending the handholding didn't mean anything more. Atem let go of her hand as they reached the entrance.

"Ok! Whoever reaches the center first wins." He winked at her. It was good to be childish for once. "Winner gets to ask the loser for a favor." The Scott grinned.