Chapter Twenty-Seven

The chains jingle and clang and screech as Derek attempts to rip them out from the floor. Amelia has long since settled herself onto the dirty, grimy floor of the freezer. It's almost hard to believe that's it's been just a little over twenty-four hours since she's been here. The air crackles with the energy of the dead women.

In her arms, with nothing but a thin blanket to cover her, lies an unconscious Stephenie. Whether she was injured while being dragged to this hell hole or an injury during the crash, she's losing too much blood. It stains Amelia's clothing but she doesn't notice. The only thing she can focus on is the steady, albeit slow, pulse she monitors through the wrist. Occasionally Stephenie will come in and out of consciousness to speak something incoherent but she swiftly falls back asleep.

"Fuck!"

For the first time, Amelia's attention is pulled away from the woman in her arms. She stares over at Derek. He slides down against the wall, sweat staining his shirt and panting. Defeat contorts his face into an angry scowl. He feels her gaze on him.

"The chains are infused with some sort of wolfsbane. It's weakening me," he explains and Amelia shrugs. She could easily get the chains off but Gerard made it clear that Stephenie would pay the price should she even try. The risk wasn't worth it.

"When he comes to get me, I'll release you so you can get her out of here," she whispers quietly.

His gaze falls on her, a million questions in his eyes. "Do you feel it?" He asks.

Amelia sighs. It's the only confirmation he needs but he still waits with baited breath for her to answer. She doesn't need him to specify what he means. Since the moment they met, there has been an unexplainable, invisible rope that ties them to each other. It took her a little while to fully notice but it's been there all along.

Part of her wonders if it isn't because of their first meeting. The one that nearly destroyed a coffee shop and landed her in the hospital. It was a simple gesture of shaking hands but it was the event that started everything. Could touching him have developed this connection?

No. Because she has touched Parrish. She may have feelings for him but she doesn't feel this familiarity with him.

"Yeah, I feel it," she finally says.

"I felt it before I even met you. When I walked into the café that day, it was to find the source of the pull and there you were," he says. "You had your hot chocolate and notepad. Already I could see you puzzling over Braeden and her bizarre appearance in this town. Scott and Stiles assumed I heard her and came in to speak with her, but it was you. I felt you."

"I thought it was because of what happened," Amelia says softly, and then more to herself, "I guess not."

"I wonder why."

She smiles. "When you make it out of here, figure it out. For both of us."

Derek doesn't return the smile. The idea of her dying at all is almost too much. He stares down at the chains and back at Amelia. If she released him, he could hurry Stephenie away and come back for her. The others are in the woods already. All he needs to do is howl to find Scott and he will be there within seconds. It's a solid plan. One that could afford him plenty of time to come back and free Amelia of her fate.

He changes position, ready to plead his case, but before he can utter a single word, the door slides open. Amelia's back straightens and her hold on Stephenie tightens. Derek stands to his full, imposing height. If only he could turn.

"Derek Hale and Amelia Rose," Gerard says as he wheels into the room. He sneers at the two. "You two have truly made my night so much easier. I was going to sacrifice Amelia and then come find Derek. Did he tell you that he's the alpha who bit me?"