Chapter One

Amelia Rose; the critics call her a major ball buster but they praise her investigative reporter skills. There's no secret she can't uncover; no lie she can't unravel. Finding dirt on people and exposing it to the world is her job and she is the best at what she does which is why editors seek her out to dig into the juciest scandals. Her job sends her to many places around the world. Even to small, unknown towns such as Fairview, California.

There's not much to see in Fairview. There's the newspaper. They have a two room cinema that plays last year's releases. It also has a single, private college that used to be prestigious until the neighboring town started wracking up bodies. It was just a coincidence that rich parents didn't want their trust fund brats so close to a town with a high mortality rate.

Personally, Amelia finds Beacon Hills to be intriguing and it's not just because the editor of The Fairview Citizen believes there's a story there. Melody Patch called Amelia up three days ago with a prospect. The woman was so vague that she just had to show up and get a closer look.

The Fairview Citizen is exactly what one would expect out of a small town newspaper trying to make it big. The walk-in area is medium sized with just enough space to fit three desks comfortably. There's a door to the right that leads to a smaller room with two desks and an office with the word EDITOR engraved in a metal plaque attached to the door. It's not much but the stench of desperation is thick when Melody Patch swings her door wide open to greet her smoking gun.

The strained smile as she tries to hide her disappointment is amusing. Admittedly, Amelia is not exactly what people expect when meeting her. They expect a tall, older woman with a no nonsense attitude and judging eyes. They don't expect the twenty-three year old, five-foot - nothing woman with dark, guarded eyes.

"You're Amelia Rose?"

"Yes." When Melody makes no movement to retreat inside her office, Amelia quirks an eyebrow at the woman. "Is there a story you're going to pitch me on or are we just going to stand here until reality matches with your expectations?"

As though pinched, Melody quickly shuffles backwards and into her office. Amelia follows with a shake of her head. Her interest in this story is quickly waning. This woman better have one hell of a pitch.

"You're not exactly what I expected. When people say Amelia Rose, I pictured-"

"Yeah, I know what you pictured," Amelia says while observing the framed degrees on the wall. They are not extraordinary but they are telling. Melody Patch went to Fairview University before it dumbed down its requirements for admission. So, either the woman is insanely smart or she comes from a rich family. Amelia glances over at the middle aged blonde. Rich family. "You said you have a story?"

"Yes! Please, have a seat," Melody says and fetches a few files out of her desk. When she glances up, it's to see a very bored brunette examining her nails and she falters a bit. "Um, Beacon Hills is our neighboring town and there's been surge of criminal activity in recent years."

"A simple Google search told me this. Stop with the foreplay and get to the point," Amelia says.

Melody nods and lays the files out flat. "They are hiding something there. I don't have any proof except for what's in these files but take a look."

Amelia sighs but looks over them anyways. A cursory glance is enough to tell her that these files are very well put together. She lifts one up and sifts through its contents. These murders started around September and were spread out over a two month period. The way most of them were killed hints at sacrifices. Another file holds the clippings from animal-like attacks performed by a human. Some witnesses claim to see people running around with glowing eyes.

"Did you put these together?" Amelia asks as she doubts her initial assumption of the woman's incompetence.

"No," she says, effectively wiping away all doubts. "My field reporter Michael did."

"And why doesn't 'field reporter Michael' do the story? Seems smarter to use someone familiar with the lay-of-the-land than a complete stranger."

"Miss. Rose, there's a reason why you work freelance only. It allows you to do things that most reporters can't," Melody says causing Amelia to smirk.

It's true. She has a knack for finding information that no one else can because she has no moral qualms about exposing the truth. To this date she has hacked files, bribed, and has been a perpetrator in many breaking-and-entering cases. It's because of this that no reputable newspaper will hire her on as a full time reporter. Not that it bothers her. She is paid well for her articles.

"Before I say yes, what do you think this town is hiding?"

"There are too many eye witness accounts of people spotting sword wielding ninjas and monsters with glowing eyes. I want to know if what these people are seeing is true."

Amelia stares across the desk at the woman with a blank expression. This woman called her all the way out to California to investigate fairytales? She tosses the files back onto the desk.

"Mrs. Patch, I'm not Bella Swan. I don't live in a town called Forks and I don't fall in love with monsters. Why? Because monsters don't exist." Amelia grabs her bag off from the floor and makes her way to the door. She's just opened it when Melody's desperate voice calls out to her.

"Two weeks!" She launches out of her chair. "Two weeks and I will pay you double what I offered. If there is no story at all, then think of it as a paid vacation on me."

As many stories as Amelia takes on, there are dozens more that she turns down whether she's bored with the topic or if she feels the story will do more harm than good. Sometimes, though she takes on a story simply because she's intrigued. Even if there isn't much of one. She glances at the files and back to the opened door.

It's with an annoyed sigh that she marches over to Melody's desk and carefully shoves the files into her bag. She fixes the blonde with an even stare.

"Two weeks," she agrees.

A/N: Amelia is clearly nothing like Charlie. She's a little rougher around the edges and a bit of a bitch. I'm going to admit that she's not going to be the most likeable character. Not at first. But hopefully she'll grow on you.