Memories

Lucy's P.O.V.

I walked down the light blue hallway with Paul. He seemed to be a very nice young man. He never stopped talking in his kind mannered voice. I noticed that he used his hands a lot when he was talking.

"Well, enough about me." He said. "Let's hear about you. What's your story? Who are you and where did you come from?"

I frowned as we continued to walk through the corridors of the hospital. They seemed to go on forever. "Well, as I said earlier, my name is Lucy. I was born in Silverton, Oregon, but my family and I traveled all over the world. We ended up settling in Nevada. There were lots of mountains there, hardly any trees, and not many big cities. I worked in a Bakery shop in one of the small towns near my house."

"Oh, did you do any baking?" Paul asked, with a smile.

"Oh, yes." I replied, as we finally walked out of the hospital. We sat down on a couple of benches that were next to the doors.

"I did lots of baking and cooking. People used to come around from all over the country to taste my cookies. But, one day, they just stopped coming. I don't know why. My cookies still tasted the same, but no one was interested in them anymore. They wanted donuts from this new and improved Donut Shop on the east coast. I was walking home from work one day in the rain, when a man stopped me. He asked me why I looked sad. I told him that it was none of his business. I was not about to talk about my sorrows with this complete stranger. I walked past him, but he grabbed me by the arm and kept pestering me. I ripped my arm out of his grasp and ran away from him. He chased me. He chased me and I ran as fast as I could. I ran into an alleyway, but before I could go any further, I tripped on a loose brick. I got up and turned around to face him. He backed me up into a wall and beat me. " I buried my face in my hands, as tears started to stream down my face. "I'm s- sorry. I don't know why I'm telling you this." I said into my hands. I felt Paul put his arms around me, trying to comfort me.

"Shhh, It's ok." He said. "You're safe now. I won't let anyone hurt you anymore, okay?"

I lifted my head and wiped the tears out of my eyes. "O- Okay." I said.

He tilted his head slightly. "What I want to know, is how a twenty year old, like yourself, went from a city in Nevada to an abandoned building in Cardiff?" He asked. "You said it was raining when that man hurt you, and you were soaked when I found you, but it hasn't rained here in over two weeks..."

I looked down at my knees, trying to remember what happened after that man beat me. Then, an image of a stone angel's face came into my mind. "I... I do remember the man vanishing. He was beating me and kicking me, when suddenly, he vanished. I don't remember why, but I remember seeing a statue of an angel hovering over me, before I blacked out."

"A statue of an angel?" Paul inquired.

I nodded, looking up at him. "Yeah. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Nope. I have no idea what that means. All I know is that you are safe here and nothing is going to harm you here. I'll make sure of that."

He stood up and offered me his hand. I took it and stood up. "Ok." I said, smiling at him. "Thank you, Paul."

Paul nodded. "Of course, my lady. Anything to help." He frowned, tilting his head again. "Since your from Nevada, you don't have anywhere to stay, do you?"

I shook my head. "No, not at the moment. I... I haven't thought about that really."

"Well," He said. "You could always stay with me, if you like. I have a spare bedroom at my flat. It's only until you get on your feet again. You know, get a job, all that good stuff..."

I smiled at him and nodded. "That would be lovely, thank you."

He grinned, pointed off to his left, and held out his arm. "My flat is this way, my lady."

I held his arm and we started walking in the direction of his flat.