5

Aimey had slept uneasily since Dean's passing. The image of him, lying on the concrete...it had caught in her throat and stole her breath away for weeks. After yet another night of restlessness, she poured herself a coffee and slipped out the door. She turned once, glancing at the dark pub, and walked the other way. The air bit at her skin, and she pulled her collar closer around her. The streets were bare, few cars passed as she continued down the street. She held no destination in mind as she walked, but the smell of fresh coffee lured her into a cafe. Low light and warmth greeted her as she approached the counter. As soon as the drink reached her lips, she felt tired. Days of sleeplessness and anxiety had caught up with her, and she retreated to a corner of the room. Only later, when she was shaken awake by a barista waiting to close up, did Aimey realize she had fallen asleep. The night was setting in as she stumbled home to open the door. As she turned the key in the lock, she noticed a slip of paper stuck under a pane in the door. 

"Stopped by for the tab, you weren't here, talk soon?" 

She recognized Sam's sideways scrawl, and tucked the note in her pocket. The room was dark and smelled of smoke, and Aimey let her head fall in her hands.  The night would be long and lonesome, and she wondered what Sam was doing. Stragglers drifted through the doors, letting cold air sweep into the room. Loud laughing and noise filled the room and her head, mixing with heavy thoughts. Aimey called her partner, not in the mood to work alone. As soon as the girl entered the room, Aimey left. She crawled back into bed, asleep in a moment. Her cat slept beside her, purring quietly. The night was peaceful.

However, the next day for Aimey would change things drastically. Awaking with a start, she clicked on her light and checked the time. Three in the morning, and she was drenched with sweat. Memories ticked through her head like flashbacks, and she rubbed her eyes. The night was quiet, until a knock on the door startled her. Undoing the lock, she let the door swing open. On the porch was a police officer. 

"Miss, is your name Aimey?" 

She felt a sudden cold

"Yes, how can I help you?" 

"I don't mean to bother you at an ungodly hour, but it's your mother."

Aimey's heart dropped.