Chapter 3:

Alec Lightwood POV:

Eight minutes and 23 seconds, I think as I stare down at my alarm clock set for 5:30 am for training begging it to somehow to move slower or stop, to somehow never change the glowing numbers into 12:00 am.

Eight minutes.

Entering my mother's office as asked, i hear:
" Alec, my boy why don't you sit down." More of a command than a question. In this family there is never really any choice in a answer for a question. It's normally whatever my mother wants and if we say 'no'  we normally have to do whatever 'it' is anyway.

Sitting down I noticed my mother looks rather nervous.

"Alec darling, there's something I have to tell you."

Is something wrong? What's happened?

"Yes mother"

"About a year ago now your father and I have started to notice the signs and over the last few weeks it has only proven..."

"Mother please," I begged

"You do know how shadowhunters have a gene that went dormant when we started breeding with mundanes?"

"Yes"

"Well you have been showing some signs of  the gene through out the past few weeks progressively more. Such as loneliness and you have seemed rather unfocused for your regular self. Don't you agree ?"

"I suppose."

"Yes well what do you know about the gene?"

"Not an awful lot other than those with the gene have more angel blood than the average shadowhunter. Wait! What are you trying to say?"

"I am saying that you most likely have this gene maybe not on a big level but still you might have this gene and a mate"

"A mate?" My voice wabbles. No this can't be happening. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

"A mate. Someone who you will love eternally and someone you can't live without.-"

I cut my mother off. "Sorry what? Live without?"

"Yes well... If you don't mark your mate by your 19th birthday you will die."

Die.

5 minutes.

I had done alot of  research on the subject after that. There hadn't been many journals of  past gened shadowhunters which is I think is because the relationship between a gened shadowhunter and his or her mate is very private. Of what there is though. I know:

• Gened Shadowhunters are called the gened. ( Think of anything more creative let me know. )

•We need a mate to survive and if we don't have one by our next birthday we will die of heartbreak and loneliness.

•Our skill are enhanced meaning what we would use a rune for would come naturally. Such as better sight, agility, and strength.

•The parabatai bond would break due to the mating ceremony being to similar to the parabatai ceremony and the need and want to only be close to your mate.

•There is also a 65% chance that wings with start to grow from your back during the year after the transformation.

•When provoked the gened's pupils dilate to the size of his or her iris the less white there is the more provoked the gened is.

3 minutes.

As I continue continue counting down the seconds left I start to wonder what the transformation will feel like. Will it hurt? Probably. Will I die in the process? Fucking hell I hope not!

2 minutes.

The soft creaking of the floor boards outside if my room sound. Jace, I thought. Our Parabatai bond is about to break.

1 minute.