1

He was so tall. I'm sure I can take him.

Narrowing my eyes, I launch myself off the sofa, at my brother, attacking his back with my body. The force at which I launch myself at him - plus the shock - sends him to the floor - and me with him.
"Bloody hell, Skylar!" he exclaims in surprise.
"You liar!" I accuse loudly. He twists round, looking at me in confusion as I roll away from him.
"What?" he asks me, and I scoff.
"You said you'd be home for my birthday," I mutter, brokenly. His eyes show sympathy instantly and he rushes to hug me.
"I'm sorry, Skye. My plane got cancelled for days and days," he mutters. I shove him off, trying to remain upset at him.
"I had to celebrate my birthday without you," I whisper sadly, a tear slipping. He sighs, hugging me tightly.
"I'm so sorry, Skylar," he whispers. I nod, no longer able to stay mad at him.
"Are you two quite finished?" mum asks tiredly from the living room door connected to the kitchen. We nod, Antonio taking our baby brother from my mum's arms. Lucian, my baby brother, half a year old and causing my mum many issues. Tony had only just got back off his extended holiday, meaning we were no longer suffering, money wise. We managed to stay afloat, but not very well. And now that Tony is back, he can help.
"How's school going, Skye?" Tony asks, and I groan.
"I can't wait to finish!" I say dramatically, making him chuckle as he bounces Lucian on his knee. We watch the youngster giggle in happiness, completely oblivious to how the world really is.
"Anyway, I gotta go complete some work," I inform him, standing up and bounding upstairs. I go into my tiny little room, sitting on my bed and dragging my laptop up on to my legs. My room could only just fit a wardrobe in there, as well as a bed. I can also just manage to fit in a small shoe stack, although that's more at the bottom of my wardrobe. I can also fit a chest of drawers in here, and that's it. I had the smallest room, but I don't mind. It's better than having to share, which I had to do before Lucian came around. Now, I'm the only girl, with a tiny little room that no one sees because I avoid bringing people over. Who wants their friends to see how run down their house is?
-
-
-
"Skylar! You have school!" Antonio's voice yells over Lucian's screaming wails.
"I know, I'm ready," I mutter, walking down the stairs and into the kitchen. I see Antonio rushing around with Lucian in his arms and chuckle.
"I'll drop him off on my way," I inform him and he nods thankfully at me. Taking Lucian and his bag from Tony, I grab a piece of fruit and walk out. I wasn't exactly the most favourite person at my school. Everyone thought I was a prude because I'm still a virgin. I've only just lost my first kiss the other day - a boy had apparently been dared to kiss me on the lips to see my reaction. Obviously I slapped his cheek and then stomped on his foot and kneed his gut as he went down. And then I ran off crying, wiping at my mouth furiously. I had one person at the school who doesn't mind me, and that's only because they're in the same boat as I am.
"Hey, yo, Skylar!" a voice yells. Stopping, I turn to face Demi, my best friend, and smile. She smiles back, smiling at Lucian as we continue walking to his childcare place. Dropping him off, we then continue to walk to school, where everyone starts calling us names. We block them out like we have done for years now, going to our lesson and focusing on that.
-
-
-
"Do the work, Skylar!" a voice shouts. I know it's my teacher. Rolling my eyes, I meet up with Demi.
"So I see you pissed him off," she says in amusement, and I nod proudly. I was the only one able to anger him like that, all because I never do the homework. No matter how much I try to plea my case, he has none of it. Not my fault I have to help keep my family functioning.
"You know it," I reply smugly. We walk into the lunch hall, grimacing at the amount of PDA. But not only that, the amount of bodies in there.
"Get food and eat outside?" I ask, to which Demi nods. We go and get our food, having to queue for ages, before buying the food and scurrying outside. We sit under a tree, Demi having to rearrange her skirt in order to be comfortable. And then we eat in a comfortable silence, the slight chill in the air biting into our cheeks and noses. We finish the food and stand up, walking slowly to our next class, which we thankfully share. Taking our seats as the bell goes, we watch as everyone walks in, talking about some party going on tonight. Just because it's a Friday, there's a party happening.
"Did you hear about Luk?" they all whisper furiously, obviously gossiping.
"No?" others question.
"Turns out he's in a gang," they whisper back. Whoever this Luk guy is, has it hard. Even I haven't been accused of being in a gang. That just seems ludicrous! Poor boy, they're going to spread that like wildfire.
"Skylar Greene! Pay attention!" miss snaps, and I roll my eyes once her back is turned. Everyone sniggers as I grab my pen and begin writing notes.
-
-
-
"See you later!" I call out to Demi at the end of school. She waves at me as she hops into her dad's car, and I wave back, walking in the opposite direction to her. I put my earphones in my ears, putting my playlist on shuffle, bopping my head to the beat of the music. My hands were shoved deep into my pockets. Our school has a strict uniform, however no one actually listens to the rules. While skirts are supposed to be at knee length, we all wear them at mid thigh and above. Top buttons are undone, ties are fat and short, and tops are untucked. Boys walk around without their blazers while girls walk round with their sleeves rolled up. They all also wear different shoes to what are allowed. They all wear black converse, while I wear black combat boots.

As I'm walking, I feel someone hit my back. They weren't gentle either, meaning I go flying forward. But before I can hit the floor, they grab me and spin me, making me avoid face planting the floor. Their eyes flash with an unknown emotion before they steady me, giving me one final, brief glimpse before running once more. I watch in awe as he pumps his arms powerfully, running as quick as possible, even though they're in the same useless uniform as I am. I watch as two big, burly men charge after the first, giving me a brief look over before continuing their man hunt. Eyes wide, I continue walking, only to stumble a few seconds later as recognition hits me. Hard. I just bumped into Luk Jackson Hiddleton. Also known as the boy everyone must have been talking about earlier. How on earth I didn't piece that together sooner, I don't know. I just bumped into the hottest badass of the century.