Plucking An Iowa Flower ~ Chapter 34

My vacation with Zacky went perfectly! On the last night, Zacky and I were getting ready for bed when he turned to me. “Daisy, this was great. I’m glad we did this.”

I smiled. “I agree! Just sad it’s over. It’s nice being alone with you.” And away from Matt, I thought. I would need to handle that situation when I got back. I was 100 percent sure now that Zacky was the one for me. And I wasn’t going to lose him because of an already-married father of one.

We stared at each other for awhile, and then Zacky kissed me. The kiss turned into a make-out session, which got more and more heated. I was just getting into it when a flashback of the beach played in my mind. I jumped off of the bed, shocked.

Zacky stared at me like I’d lost it. “Daisy, what’s wrong?! Was I going too fast again? I’m sorry.”

I took some deep breaths, trying to calm myself. “No, Zacky, it wasn’t you. I just… haven’t had sex in a long time, and I guess I’m getting cold feet.” I wasn’t entirely lying. I hadn’t been with anyone in about two years, since Mark died.

He nodded. “I understand completely. Don’t worry. You’re not hurting my feelings any.” He smiled.

I felt awful. I should just flat out tell him what happened and hope he forgives me. But I couldn’t stand to lose him. I didn’t know what to do. Then, I had the idea of calling Matt, telling him that I was completely in love with Zacky, and that if he didn’t back off, I would tell Zack. It seemed to be my only option.

Taking a deep breath, I said, “Hey, Zacky? Do you mind if I go make a call? I think I should check in with my brother.” Which I actually should do, I reminded myself.

He smiled. “Of course! You need to do what you need to when it comes to that. You don’t have to ask me.”

I thanked him, grabbed my phone, and went into the hall of our suite. Making sure I was a ways away from the door, I dialed Matt’s number. When he answered, there was a lot of loud music, and I could barely hear him say, “Hello?”

“Matt? I can barely hear you!” It was starting to hurt my ears.

“Just a second!” he shouted. I heard some shuffling, and things got quieter. “There. Is that better?”

“Yes, very much so. Are you alone? I don’t want anyone to overhear us.” I bit my lip nervously.

“Yes, Daisy, I’m alone. What’s up? Miss me?” I could tell he was smirking.

“The exact opposite, actually, Matt. I needed to tell you that there is no way in hell that I’m ever leaving Zacky. If you don’t stop trying to sleep with me, I will tell Zacky and Val. Understand?” I tried to be as harsh as I could.

He stiffened up, too. “You wouldn’t dare.”

“Oh, yes, I would! You aren’t going to ruin this for me. Because I will ruin you.”

“Are you resulting to blackmail, Daisy? Seems pretty desperate.”

“I am. I want to keep him, Matt. I love him. Him, not you.” I emphasized that as much as I could.

“Fine. See you when you get back.” He hung up on me. Good. I hope I got my point across.

I closed my phone and headed back into the bedroom. Zacky was already asleep. I put my phone on the nightstand and crawled in next to him. I should be able to go ahead with our relationship now, worry free.

The next morning came faster than I would have liked. We were woken up by the front desk, telling us it was time to check out or be charged for another night. We scrambled up, packed, and checked out as fast as we could. The drive home was pleasant, but short. Pulling into the driveway, we saw all of the guys’ cars parked in front of the house, waiting for us.