6. Three Weeks

“Jules?” I asked, walking back from the baby’s room, seeing my girl curled up under a blanket, laying across the couch; the image of an upset woman. Her eyes flickered to me and away. “You okay?” She shrugged and moved so I could sit down next to her.

            “What’s going on?” I asked as she put her head in my lap. “Luke kicked me out,” she grumbled, snuggling closer to me. I felt my eyebrows crumple. “What do you mean, he kicked you out?” “He said if I walked out the door to move in with you I was never welcome back in that house again.” Her voice choked up at the end and I stroked her hair, letting my fingertips touch her cheek.  

                “Don’t even think about it,” I said, lifting her up so her legs were planted on either side of my thighs. “You’re here, with me and Lizard.” One of her eyebrows arched. “Lizard? Really Jason?” I smiled. “Yes, really. That’s the name that’s going to be on the back of her baseball jersey. Lizard McCann.” She rolled her eyes at me. “Okay. When she’s old enough to play baseball, see how well that goes over.”

                I just smiled and leaned in to kiss her, sighing from the long-forgotten feel of her lips on mine. “Jules,” I taunted as she shifted our bodies on the couch, pulling me on top of her. She caught my lower lip between hers and gently started sucking, her teeth grazing my lip and making me groan.

                “You,” I said, pulling away and reaching for the buttons to my red button up plaid shirt. “Are the definition of tease, woman.” She giggled as I dropped my shirt to the floor. “Thanks,” she whispered, pulling me in for another kiss. I knocked my knee against hers, trying to get her to open up for me, already feeling my jeans tenting.

                “I’ve missed you so much,” I whimpered, kissing down her neck and slowly lifting the silky fabric of her shirt.

                “Jase, babe, wait.” She pushed lightly against my chest, making me sit up a little and look into her eyes, burning with love and want. “I love you, so much.” She paused, gnawing her lower lip and drawing circles on the naked skin of my chest, giving me goose bumps. “I love you, too. Go on.”

                She met my gaze, looking guilty and embarrassed. “I still have three weeks until I can have sex.”  My head swung forward. “Are you serious right now?” I asked, not looking up. “Would I kid about something like this, McCann?” I groaned and stood up, raking my fingers through my short new hair. “I haven’t heard you call me McCann in forever.” She gave me a cheeky grin.  “I know. You like?”

                I glared at her and jumped back to my previous position, squeezing her sides; she squealed and slapped at my hands, giggling. “I’d like it a whole lot more three weeks from now.” “Kay, McCann.” “Stop it.” “No, don’t stop, Jason.” “You’re a tease.” “And you like it!” “Whether or not I like it is irrelevant.” “Mmm. I like it when you use big words. Say another one baby.” I rolled my eyes and took her hand, tugging her gently to her feet.

                “How’s this for a big word: bed.”  She pouted. “That’s not fun,” she whined. I scooped her up into my arms and carried her to our room bridal style. She giggled and laid her head on my shoulder. “I missed you,” she mumbled as I tossed her onto the bed and shed my jeans. I crawled into bed with her, pulling her against my chest.

                “I missed you, too, babe. So much.” Our eyes met and I gently kissed her lips, my hand sliding back to cup the back of her head, tangling into the roots of her hair. “I love you,” I said softly, watching her eyes flutter closed.  She murmured a soft ‘I love you, too,’ before we both fell asleep, content and happy for the first time in a long time.