Chapter 20: Runaways

• • •

Camila Cabello walked down the dimly lit hallway as casual as possible, her head held high, and an image of innocence prudently displayed on her face as if she wasn't about to commit treason against the organization that raised her up all these years. Nevertheless, her pace reduced speed, the interval of each steps became a little longer than the previous when an unexpected scene was gradually clearing out in her vision the closer she was to the Black Room. Why was the lone guard down on the floor?

She kept walking until she reached the body. It was Mac, one of the guys from her father's team. He would have looked normal if it wasn't for the blood gushing down from his slit throat. She pulled out her iPhone to check if there was a call or a message from Mike Jauregui's group. Nothing. So something was clearly wrong here.

The young Phoenix turned to the door; it was closed. She cautiously approached it, careful not to make any sound and all prepared to draw her weapon for possible danger. She slowly turned the knob then swung the door open causing a loud thud against the wall. Lauren was no longer hanging on the bar with blindfold covering her eyes. Instead, there was Stan right at the middle of the room pointing a gun towards her.

"Camila," Stan breathed out in recognition and relief. He quickly put away the gun to express his side on the war. He wasn't going to kill his sister.

"Where's Lauren?" was Camila's greeting.

"She's safe," her brother explained. "We got her out of here already. We took her home."

That meant no help from Mike and his men was expected to come for the rest of the evening anymore.

"We?"

"Me and the guys- Niall, Dinah and Ariana. She didn't betray you, kiddo."

As a response, she looked away for a moment. Camila was really angry at them. Of all people, she was counting on them for support only to do foolish things behind her back. It couldn't be that easy to just forgive and forget. But, well, she too failed that fateful night.

"Now I'm set to get you out of here," Stan added moving closer to her. "The others are already waiting for us some place safe. We don't belong here anymore."

"No," the younger Cabello disagreed shaking her head decisively. "You go, I'll stay."

"What?"

"Lauren's now safe, and I really appreciate what you, guys, did, but I have to stay. The Secret Society needs me. You saved one innocent person, but there are still twelve million people left to be rescued."

"Dad is using you! He's sending you out to do missions for his sake!"

"Forget about him. I'm doing the missions for the people. This is why we're here, Stan. We want to create a better society where the people rule and not some shits who cared for no one else but themselves. This is what The Society is all about."

"No, I'm here because of you! I'm here because you're my sister, and I'm not letting anybody hurt you! So if you're going to stay, then I'll stay. We're a package deal."

Camila shook her head once more, "He will kill you."

"I told you I'm on your side, kiddo. I don't care if we're on a boat or just in the middle of nowhere. If you have to swim back up to the surface or fight your way through the cruel waves, I want you to know that I'll always be here. Remember that, and I don't want you to forget that ever again."

Camila silently stared at her brother for who knew how long. Twice; she doubted his loyalty twice when in reality, it had always belonged to nobody else but her. Stan's code had always been 'Fidelity to Camila Cabello', and it was one vow that was never meant to be broken.