an Italian date

"A penny for your thoughts?" Maine asks Rj as she sidles up to him while he looked out into the water of the lake. He had been standing at the railing for quite sometime now, deep in thought. He didn't notice Maine approach or the little kids noisily playing nearby. He was so engrossed in his thoughts.

Startled a little as she nudged him when she stood beside him, he replied, "wala naman....iniisip ko kasi how to really thank you...." he said while still looking at the water then slowly turning to her.

"Thank me? For what?" she asked, confusion written over her face. He invited her to sit on the low wall a few meters away from the railing. They sat facing each other.

"For taking care of me....remember when I got really sick?"

"Sus! That was nothing...." she said as she leaned back, her weight on her hands.

"Nothing?....you took care of me like a baby, nothing? I was naked a lot of the time, nothing? Even my Mom and Lola haven't seen me naked ng ganun ganun lang....you could have asked someone else to take care of me or I could have gone home to Laguna...."

"...or got hospitalized...."

"...or went to the hospital..." he repeated "...but no, you, my Nicomaine, took care of me....as in...."

"Rj....MY Rj...." she straightened up and looked at him straight in the eye. He was looking past her but then focused his attention to her when he heard "MY".

"I would do those things over and over again for you.... you're very important to me....I care for you...I love you...." tears were now welling in her eyes

"Maine...." he said as tears were now streaming down his cheeks "....you didn't have to do all those.....I will be forever grateful for your attention and care....I love you...."

He leaned towards her and hugged her really tight.

He cupped her chin with one hand and gently pressed his lips against hers. They kissed for a while then hugged again.

"Meng....Love....di ka ba nandiri sa suka at poop ko?" he said as he slowly let go of her.

She giggled. "Medyo...." she said as she looked down. "Pero, Love, wala namang suka or poop na mabango e...." She turned around and leaned back on his chest.

He giggled as well. "Sabagay...Pero wow ha...iba ka talaga....feeling ko parang si Mommy ang nag-aalaga sa akin...sobrang detailed....paligo, wash ng pwet, wiwi....grabe ka!"

"Eeeeh! Kakayanin mo ba yun e naka-bandage yung kamay mo...?"

"Haaay Love.....promise, pag ikaw naman ang nangailangan, I promise to be there for you!" he held out a pinky and they pinky-swore.

"Promise mo yan? Di ka rin mandidiri or tatanggi?"

"Oo naman!" he said as he crossed his heart and put up his right hand. "Diba nga, ako ang nanggamot sa yo nung sumemplang ka sa bike the other day?" he continued.

"Thank you for that Love..." she looked up and kissed him on the jaw.

"Okay na ba yung mga gasgas mo?" he asked

She looks at the crook of her left foot then pulls up her left jacket sleeve to inspect her bruise. "Hmm...okay naman....medyo mahapdi ng konti pero okay na sya....may pasa...."

"Pasa!? Saan?!!" he says, startled..

"Easy ka lang love....shhh...." she calms him down by reaching up and patting him on the head. "...dito..." she extends her legs which she had crossed and points to her left shin.