Chapter 23

Why we knew that going to Hagrid's was the right thing to do, I had no idea. It was as though the potion was illuminating a few steps of the path at a time. I could not see the final destination, I could not see where Slughorn came in, but I knew that we were going the right way to get that memory. When we reached the entrance hall I saw that Filch had forgotten to lock the front door. Beaming, Harry threw it open and I breathed in the smell of clean air and grass for a moment before walking down the steps into the dusk.

It was when I reached the bottom step that it occurred to me how very pleasant it would be to pass the vegetable patch on his walk to Hagrid's. It was not strictly on the way, but it seemed clear to me that this was a whim on which he should act, so I directed the boys immediately toward the vegetable patch, where I was pleased, but not altogether surprised, to find Professor Slughorn in conversation with Professor Sprout. We lurked behind a low stone wall, feeling at peace with the world and listening to their conversation.

"I do thank you for taking the time, Pomona," Slughorn was saying courteously, "most authorities agree that they are at their most efficacious if picked at twilight."

"Oh, I quite agree," said Professor Sprout warmly. "That enough for you?"

"Plenty, plenty," said Slughorn, who, I saw, was carrying an armful of leafy plants. "This should allow for a few leaves for each of my third years, and some to spare if anybody over-stews them. . . . Well, good evening to you, and many thanks again!"

Professor Sprout headed off into the gathering darkness in the direction of her greenhouses, and Slughorn directed his steps to the spot where we stood, invisible.

Seized with an immediate desire to reveal himself, Harry pulled the off the cloak with a flourish.

"Good evening, Professor."

"Merlin's beard, Harry, Melissa, Oliver, you made me jump," said Slughorn, stopping dead in his tracks and looking wary. "How did you get out of the castle?"

"I think Filch must've forgotten to lock the doors," I said cheerfully, and was delighted to see Slughorn scowl.

"I'll be reporting that man, he's more concerned about litter than proper security if you ask me. . . . But why are you out then you three?"

"Well, sir, it's Hagrid," said Harry, we knew that the right thing to do just now was to tell the truth. "He's pretty upset. . . But you won't tell anyone, Professor? I don't want trouble for him. ..."

Slughorn's curiosity was evidently aroused. "Well, I can't promise that," he said gruffly. "But I know that Dumbledore trusts Hagrid to the hilt, so I'm sure he can't be up to anything very dreadful..."

"Well, it's this giant spider, he's had it for years. ... It lived in the forest. ... It could talk and everything -"

"I heard rumors there were acromantulas in the forest," said Slughorn softly, looking over at the mass of black trees. "It's true, then?"

"Yes," said Harry. "But this one, Aragog, the first one Hagrid ever got, it died last night. He's devastated. He wants company while he buries it and we said we'd go."

"Touching, touching," said Slughorn absentmindedly, his large droopy eyes fixed upon the distant lights of Hagrid's cabin. "But acromantula venom is very valuable ... If the beast only just died it might not yet have dried out. . . . Of course, I wouldn't want to do anything insensitive if Hagrid is upset. . . but if there was any way to procure some ... I mean, its almost impossible to get venom from an acromantula while its alive. ..."

Slughorn seemed to be talking more to himself then us now. ". . . seems an awful waste not to collect it... might get a hundred Galleons a pint. ... To be frank, my salary is not large. . . ."