Part 7 - Belief

"So basically, what your saying, is that all this, is your fault."

"Ethan, please."

"Isn't it Fred? He was the one who made that stupid declaration! Made us draw blood and all the rest! This is all his fault! Like I said, he was a jerk back then and still is now."

"We need to focus on protecting him and all of us, Ethan."

"Why should I waste my time figuring out how to break the chain reaction he started?"

"Because after him, you're next and then Fred and then me."

"How are we even going to do it huh?"

"We don't know yet," Fred said.

"Ethan, I am really sorry."

"It doesn't really matter now, Devon. I'm leaving. I can't stay here."

"Ethan please," Fred called to him.

Just then something crashed through the cafe window and landed on the floor in front of Ethan, stopping him at his tracks. It was a dead raven.

Ethan looked at the window and saw a shadow peeking through the broken glass.

                                          ___________________________________

"Thank you for coming in such short notice."

"It's no problem, Father Frederick," Allison said. She was a childhood friend and who just like Ethan was a doctor. She stayed in Minnesota and joined her father's practice.

"Please, just Fred."

"Still sounds funny. Anyway, I just gave him a mild sedative. He'll be out for a while but he'll be fine."

"Thanks again. He's been through a lot. We all have."

"Yeah. You all look like you're really tired. You sure you don't need a sedative, too?"

"Haha! Very funny. But thanks. I think we could manage."

"Look at them. Gareth, I can always imagine you being the thoughtful one. But Devon? You guys must really been through something pretty rough to make Devon look after Ethan that way."

"Like I said, we all have been through a lot."

"What led to Ethan becoming that anxious?"

"I wish I could tell you."

"Why not? You guys could always trust me?"

"I don't even know where to begin."

"I can't believe it. After all these years that still gets to me."

"What?"

"Not in a bad way! That brooding look you tend to have when something really serious is bothering you."

"I.... don't understand."

"I used to have a crush on you. Sorry, Father Frederick but you did break a lot of hearts when we found out you're entering the seminary."

Fred blushed as he laughed a little at what Allison said.

"You did not!"

"Oh you have no idea! I used to have the biggest crush on you. But I kinda knew from the start that I have no chance at all with you. I can't exactly.....  compete."

"Thank you? I guess?"

Allison chuckled. "It's your brooding look that got to me."

Fred smiled at her.