Act 1 Scene 1

Act 1

Scene 1

Anabella, Carson, and Sir Nicholas enter. They’re at Carson’s small mansion in the entryway of the front doors. Carson is happily discussing the new engagement with his daughter Anabella and her suitor Sir Nicholas. Anabella isn’t thrilled at all with the engagement.  

Carson: Wonderful, just wonderful. I am so happy for the both of you. And thank you, Sir Nicholas, for happily accepting to marry my beautiful daughter Anabella. It is just marvelous. [pat Nicholas on the back]

Nicholas: Thank you, Mr. Jasper for introducing us. I am excited to marry your daughter. [reach for Anabella’s hand]

Anabella: [pull hand away from Nicholas]

Carson: [give Anabella a nasty glare] Anabella, don’t be so rude. This is your future husband.

Anabella: [rudely] A future husband for a donkey maybe, but not me. [cross arms over chest]

Carson: [sighs] I am sorry for her behavior, Sir Nicholas. She is not normally this harsh. [looks at Anabella sternly] I raised her better than this. 

Sir Nicholas: No, no, it is fine. We are putting her in an uncomfortable position. She shall warm up to me eventually. I bid you farewell. We shall discuss the wedding arrangements later. Good day sir and milady

Sir Nicholas leaves the mansion and Anabella and her father are left alone. Carson is outraged on how Anabella has acted towards her new suitor.

Carson: Anabella, will you please stop all this nonsense. Sir Nicholas is a perfect suitor for you. He is the finest gentleman in this burg.

Anabella: Father, I don’t care if he was even the king of this burg I wouldn’t ever marry him. He isn’t even worth my time.

Carson: Now Anabella, don’t you dare talk like that. He is just ‘ansome.

Anabella: [roll your eyes] Father, yet he may be ‘ansome but he isn’t my cup of tea. Did you see the way he asked me to marry him? I quote, ‘you are going to be my new wife.’ What kind of proposal is that? Not one that I would fancy over.

Carson: It is not about the proposal, my dear; it is about you marrying into a prosperous lineage.

Anabella: I don’t care father. I don’t want to marry someone like that. They are too full of themselves and all they care about is money. I don’t want to live that kind of life. [let out a heavy sigh] I want to be free, to be able to do what I want. I want to see the world, father, and meet new people. I don’t want to be here forever. I want to be able to choose my own future. [glare at him] If mother was here she would understand.

Carson: [in a shocked tone] Anabella, how dare you say that! Your mother would have wanted the best for you, and this is the best choice.

Anabella: I hate you! Why do you have to be at sea with everything? [begin walk to an exit on the stage]

Carson: Anabella, wait, where are you going?

Anabella: [turn around to face Carson] Where I can go to get some peace and quiet!

Exit Anabella.

Carson: [shake head in frustration] What am I going to do with her? [call to someone off stage] Miss. Nina!

Enter Nina, the maid. She enters the scene and walks up to Carson to greet him. She does a small curtsey then looks up at Carson in the face. 

Nina: Yes, Mr. Jasper?

Carson: Please go fetch Anabella’s friend, May. Get her to bring Anabella home at once. I am pretty sure you can find May around the burg somewhere and make sure you tell her that she can find Anabella wondering the streets of London. She always does this when she is angry at me.

Nina: Right away, Sir

Carson: Thank you, Nina.

Nina exits the stage one way and Carson exits the other. Curtain closes.