Act 4 Scene 2

Act 4

Scene 2

Enter Carson, Anabella, and Police Officer. They are at the Officer’s headquarters talking about the murders of Nina and May.

Carson: Thank you for having us over at such a late time, Lance. We both just need to know the details of what has been all going on with all the murders.

Police Officer:  ‘Tis not a problem. I understand your concern about all of this. Please, take a seat [motion to a couch in front of his desk]

Carson and Anabella sit on the couch.

Police Officer: We have found no new evidence linking the deaths.

Carson: Did you interrogate any of the guests at my party?

Police Officer: We did interrogate a few suspicious party members, but nothing was out of the ordinary.

Carson: I think we may have a serial killer on our hands. I mean, there have been three deaths in a matter of days apart; [questioningly] you don’t seem to find that suspicious?

Police Officer: We did interrogate May’s housekeepers and they said she was out at odd hours the day of her death.

Anabella: That doesn’t sound like May at all. I do remember though her telling me the day of Nina’s funeral that she wasn’t feeling well; like she was sick or something. Do you think the poison could have already entered her system and was already affecting her?

Police Officer: Possibly, but we are actually not sure. [pause] Do you know of anyone that would want to poison her or to kill her?

Anabella: As I have told you before Officer, of course not. May and I were best friends. She would have told me something about someone coming after her. We always told each other everything.

Police Officer: Was there anyone else she trusted that could have gotten a hold of poison for her, or do you know of anyone that could have slipped it to her?

Anabella: [stand up outraged] If you are trying to say that May had killed herself intently, then you are very mistaken, sir. She would never do that. She was a kind, loving person who enjoyed life. She wouldn’t have killed herself. [turn towards father] I would like to go home now. I am done talking about this.

Dimitri enters bursting into the room, panting and sweating.

Anabella: [gasp and stand up] Dimitri! What are you doing here? [look down at his shirt] Is that blood?

Dimitri: [trying to catch breath] Somebody killed her.

Anabella: [confused] What are you talking about?

Dimitri: Somebody killed Mrs. Lawson. She is at her house right now, there is blood everywhere! I saw him do it, right before my very eyes!

Police Officer: [stand up and walk over to Dimitri] What is this you are rambling on about boy.

Dimitri: I watched Mrs. Lawson be murdered. It was Doctor Morris.

Police Officer: [laugh] Morris wouldn’t hurt a fly. He is the most trusted man in this burg.

Dimitri: But he did it! I watched him kill her!

Carson: [stand up annoyed] This is nonsense. Take him away; I am pretty sure he is the one responsible for this murder and all the rest of them. Send him to the brig at once.

Police Officer: [blow small whistle around neck]

Enter Guard 1, Guard 2, and Guard 3.

Police Officer: Guards, take this murderer away at once! Lock him up in brig.

All three of the guards each grab a hold of Dimitri.

Dimitri: No, it wasn’t me. [try to pull away from them] You don’t understand. [looks at Anabella] You know it wasn’t me, tell them to let me go?

Anabella: [crying] Let you go? How do I know it wasn’t you? You could have killed them all. That is why you have been so close to me lately. You have been coming after me. [yell] Get away from me. I can’t even look at you.

Dimitri: No, Anabella, listen to me, you don’t understand, it was Doctor Morris. Please, let me go!

Anabella: [laughing sob] And to think I actually liked you. What was I thinking? Can I even trust you now?

Dimitri: Yes, Anabella, just listen to me, you can always trust me. Please.

Carson: Hurry, take him away now!

Dimitri: [yell] No, you don’t understand! You have to find Doctor Morris, he is the murderer!

Exit Dimitri and all three guards.

Police Officer: Well, looks like we found the murderer. Case closed, am I right? Looks like we are going to have to go to Mrs. Lawson’s house and see what all the damages are.

Carson: Yes, I am glad we stopped him now before he could kill anyone else. You should probably go do that. We can’t let someone else find the body; the whole burg will go crazy. [turn to Anabella who is crying] Are you alright, my dear?

Anabella: [sobbing lightly] Can we just go home now, Father?

Carson: [sigh] Yes, let’s go my dear. [turn to Police Officer] Thank you again Lance, I am very grateful we found him. Have a good night.

Carson and Anabella exit leaving Lance in his place. Curtain closes.