Save Me - Chapter One - Partners

I settled down in bed after a long, rough last-day-of-summer night. I don't know if I want to go to school or not.

My only friend was Rose - but she told me she may be moving and I hadn't heard from her since.

I sighed and traced imaginary doodles on the ceiling.

School was a place to get away. To get away from my parents - from bullies who weren't afraid to hit me, bullies who didn't get suspended for slapping me to the ground.

It restrained some of the bullies... some...

Before I knew it, my eyelids seemed as if they were 100 pounds. Will I go without it today?

Maybe just today... why not look pretty for the first day of death?

~.~

Beep, beep, beep. My eyes flew open and I quickly checked around the room hopefully. Just as every morning - i found no signs of my continuously appearing dream.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes - starting to get ready for the morning.

Hmmm, hmm

hmmm, hmm,

hmmm, hmmm, hmmm.

I hummed my favorite poem, while digging through the bathroom drawers. "Lookin for this?" Came a snide remark from the door. Glaring, I turned towards him.

"You actually care? I thought you didn't-"

"Oh I don't care. Here. I found it in the living room." He tossed me the razor. The metal gleamed brightly at me as my father walked away. I looked at his rough figure padding down the hallway.

My lips grew to a thin, white line as I held down the anger. I slammed the razor down and walked away.

~.~

"Welcome class!" The teacher exclaimed. To be honest, I planned to just tune out. You never do anything the first day anyways. As I stared into the distance, in the corner of the ceiling, the teacher called my name.

"Georgia McCaslin?" The teacher growled.

"Huh?" I mumbled lazily and the class laughed - me turning a bright red. Great start to the year, really.

"Did you hear me?" He grumbled.

"N-no, sir." I stuttered, not wanting to mess up anymore. Well, too late. The class laughed again. Shit!

"You're partners with Mackenzie." He noted. I nodded unsteadily. Mackenzie was, of course, the popular one. i glanced over at her and she looked miserable. She leaned over and whispered to her friend and they broke out in a giggling fit. "Go on, why don't you! Come on!" The teacher snapped.

I gasped silently and grabbed my books - thinking that is what we needed - and rushed over to her.

"You don't need your books, Georgia. Just a pencil and some binder paper." Mr. Crawburd sighed. Really? Really, Georgia? I gathered the necessities while he called out more partners.

I brushed a piece of hair behind my ear and scurried off to Mackenzie. "Hi." I squeaked, embarrassed of my previous episode and scared of what she would say about it. She just rolled her eyes and snatched her phone from her lap, typing some things. "Ehhmm, so... what exactly are we doing?"

She eyed me up and down, sighing, shoving her iPhone back into her backpack. "Why did I have to get stuck with you?" She droned, rudely grabbing my binder paper and pencil, jotting down some bullet points.

After a few minutes of me staring down at her furious writing, she stopped mid-bullet and glared at me. "Care to fucking help?" She growled.

"Sorry - I-I just don't know what we're supposed to do." I murmured.