Chapter 5

Chapter Five

Tom gazed up the airshaft that led to the woods outside the Woodland Village. The sound of footsteps could be heard in the distance coming from the tunnel to his left. Tom turned slowly as the scent of troll reached him. He was tired of the cloak and dagger. A hard fight was just what he needed.

When the troll neared, Tom laughed and said, "Thanks for the tip about the fire demons. The renegades were very surprised when I brought one for a little visit."

Hopper's blonde form moved slowly toward him. Tom's smile vanished as he neared. Hopper was armed with a spiked club instead of his tree branch and he was alone. Tom took a deep breath and said, "They're not going to help."

Hopper stopped in the crossroads beside him and said, "They believe the trolls are headed for Fortress City."

"What does that mean?" Tom asked.

Hopper locked eyes with Tom and said in a grim voice, "The troll council believes it is too late to save the Woodland Village. They are sending reinforcements to Fortress City. This could turn bad real quick. If hundreds of trolls suddenly appear outside the city gates with no warning, the Elves will think the troll council is attacking. If I'm not there to explain the troll's arrival, the battle may start before the renegades even arrive. You need to get to the Woodland Village and stop the villagers from heading to Fortress City. They could walk right into the renegade's path."

"Hopper," Tom answered in a deep warning tone.

"I know," Hopper replied, "You're a wraith, but you're the only one who can stop them. Find Pony, she'll help you and make sure Mikado is safe. The renegades still believe he is the key to their future. If they get the chance, they will take him."

******

Cabal was the first to enter the throne room. He slowed his pace slightly to allow Sarah and Nicole to catch up. When they were beside him, he whispered under his breath, "Don't react,"

Sarah glanced at him in confusion, she hadn't noticed Jack standing silently to the left of the throne, but Nicole did.

Cabal smiled at the beautiful seductress sitting on a throne constructed of human skulls. Nicole increased her pace. Cabal reached out to take hold of her elbow. "No," He whispered again, maintaining his smile. "Stay back."

Nicole's jaw clenched as she drew a deep breath and stepped back into the shadows. Sarah's eyes landed on Jack. Her heart pounded in her chest. Jack stood with his head high, his hand on his sword. He was bare-chested. He wore black leather pants with metal studs along the seams and tall black boots. The sword on his belt was his own.

Nicole stared at him, willing him to look at her. When their eyes met, Jack's eyes narrowed into an angry scowl. There was no recognition in his face, no joy. Nicole's heart leapt into her throat. His eyes were no longer sapphire blue, they were dull, lifeless, and pitch black. Nicole clenched her fists in an effort to avoid reaching for her sword. She had to maintain control. Something was wrong with Jack and this woman was the source.

She forced herself to focus on the woman on the throne. Nicole flashed an evil grin. A throne constructed of skulls was very amusing. She was confident this woman never bothered to bloody her hands for those skulls. She looked too pampered, too frail.

Yet she must be powerful or Jack wouldn't be acting as her protector. He must have a plan. Nicole just hoped their presence wasn't going to cause Jack any problems. They stopped in the center of the large chamber and waited for the King's mistress to speak.

The mistress rose and stood on the platform gazing down at them. She was a vision of pure beauty. Cabal admired her form and grace. It was clear why the King had chosen her as his mistress. The skin tight, ruby gown's plunging neckline gave ample view of her large firm breasts. In combination with her moist pouty lips and tiny waist, she was the perfect seductress. Her thick blonde tresses flowed about her delicate shoulders freely sending a nearly irresistible urge through Cabal to reach out and touch them.