Define Love {1}

5 Years Old

"Rhett! I can't run that fast!" Link called as Rhett was far ahead of him. "Slowpoke!" Rhett called from far away. "Ugh, at least we got to Mrs. Miller's house on time for our play date with Ashley and Richard." Link said annoyed once he finally caught up.

They went inside and found Ashley, Carol, Mona, and Richard waiting for them. "You guys took forever! My mom was almost going to pick me up!" Richard said.

"Oh shut up you're lying!" Ashley said crossing her arms.

"Let's just go upstairs to Ashley's room." Rhett said getting tired of them arguing. All of them went up and found a place to sit down. "We're going to play family!" Ashley said excitedly. The boys groaned. "My house, my games." She said.

"Okay! I'm going to be the kid. Who wants to be the parents?" She asked. Rhett and Link shot their hands up immediately. "Okay! Rhett and Link are the parents!" Mona said. They each figured out what they wanted to be and all the roles they would play.

"How about we pretend that we are at Rhett and Link's wedding?" Carol said. All the kids said yes, but the two kids who were most excited were Rhett and Link.

"Okay, who will be the bride and who is the groom?" Richard asked. "It doesn't matter! Let's just get them married already!" Carol said excitedly. "How do we get married?" The two boys asked.

"We need someone to marry you." Mona said quietly. "I know! Sparky! Come here!" Ashley called and her little dog came running up.

"Ready?" Sparky asked Rhett and Link. Of corse, Ashley was pretending to be Sparky by standing behind him, moving his paws, and speaking. They both nodded their heads excitedly.

"Um, I'm going to skip the boring part. Do you guys love each other and promise to be like that forever?" Sparky said. They both said yes. "Now kiss!" Richard said. Rhett and Link gave each other a little peck and pulled away. Both of them were blushing.

"You guys are cute!" Mona said giggling. "It's supposed to be a boy with a girl! Not a boy and a boy." Richard said rolling his eyes. "Why?" Carol asked.

"Cause that's how society is." Richard explained. "I have no idea what a society is, but screw them! Happiness matters!" Ashley screamed. "Preach it girlfriend!" Rhett said. "Happiness!" Link said exclaiming. All the kids starting cheering.

They played inside, they played outside, they explored the house, and they didn't stop until all their parents came to pick them up.

"Rhett, Link, where are your parents?" Mrs. Miller said. "We walked here so we could walk back." Rhett said. "Okay boys, be safe okay? Do you want someone to walk you home? I don't feel comfortable if you two walk alone." Mrs. Miller said starting to worry.

"It's okay! I'll protect Link, and he'll protect me." Rhett said looking at Link. They both ran, but this time sticking together.

Link heard a twig snap behind him, so he got even closer to Rhett. "Rhett, did you hear that?" Link asked him still sticking to him. "Probably just an animal Linkster." They kept walking, and Link reached for Rhett's hand. As they were walking home, they held hands, and they heard footsteps behind them.

"Hey kids, you want some candy?" Some mysterious figure asked. "Um, no we'd rather go rollerskating." Link said spitting out random words. "We don't do drugs! And you look like a butt! So we don't do butt drugs!" Rhett said.

They ran away as quickly as possible, and Link was running so fast that he could keep up with Rhett.

They arrived at Link's home and knocked quicker than the speed of light. "Boys! Come in." Mrs. Neal said. They went in and sat on the couch panting.

"Are you okay?" Mrs. Neal asked sensing something was wrong. They told her the whole story and she just held them close and thanking God that they were safe.

"Okay, I made you some hot chocolate. Why don't you boys bring it up to Link's room? Only this one time." Mrs. Neal said smiling. The boys nodded and went up to the room.

"That was scary." Link said. "But I protected you." I said to him. "I guess you did. You said no to butt drugs!" Link said giggling in a cute little voice. "You said you'd wanna go rollerskating at the roller Rhink! (See what I did there 😉)" Rhett said and Link playfully punched him.

"Remember how we were playing family there?" Link asked Rhett. "Yeah! And we got married then kissed!" Rhett said smiling at remembering that moment. "I really liked that. It was fun getting married to you." Link said.

The two young boys lay down on Link's bed. "We definitely have to get married again." Link said giggling. "Of course! I'd marry you any day." And with Rhett saying that Link snuggled up close to him.

They stayed like that until they heard a camera click. They both shot up. "Mommy! A picture again!" Link said whining. "You'll appreciate when you're older. So, how was your day?" Link's mom asked the two of them.

They told her all about it, including the marriage. "Well, when you get married I'll definitely be there." Mrs. Neal said. She knew that one day it would probably happen.

"Your mom is awesome." Rhett said. "Oh yeah? Then I guess your mom is so nice, I gotta say it twice!" Link said. "That rhymes!" Link said and Rhett poked him laughing.

It was complete silence for a while. They were just laying down without a care in the world.

"Rhett, what does love mean?" Link asked. "Well, I don't know. Ask your mom, she's so wise." Rhett said. Link called his mom upstairs.

"Mommy, what does love mean?" Link asked her. She smiled at them.

"Love is when you hold someone, but you don't get butterflies. When you hold their hand, you feel like they will always be there to protect you, and you'll never get tired of them." She said looking at both of us.

"Well, if that is what it means, then Rhett. I love you." Link said cutely. "I love you too!" Rhett said and they did a quick kiss, but not quick enough for Mrs. Neal to not get a picture.

"I love you." They both said at the same time giggling.

First One-Shot probably crappy but I try.