Prolouge

I walk out the back doors of Mickey's feeling sticky with sweat and liquor that some jackass spilt all over me. All I got was a false apologetic look on his prune-ish face. I tightly wrap my cardigan around myself and yank off my heels Rita, my best friend, coaxed me into. It's not that I don't like heels, I just prefer no shoes at all. Is that relatable? Probably not.
I keep my eyes to the ground, cautiously dodging any broken glass from the drunk men and women scattered around the parking lot.
"God why did I have to park so far away?" I said in a strained voice as my sore padded across the gravel.
I lift my eyes and start digging for my keys just before I heard a crack and immediate pain at the bottom of my right foot.
"AGH!" I yelp and recoil my foot from the ground and into the palm of my hand as I lean on the hood of a nearby car and hesitantly look at it. I hiss as I see the thick drops of blood and a shard of glass fall from my foot and turn my head away, feeling nauseous. I've been scared of blood for as long as I can remember, and the condition I was in wasn't helping me get over it. I frantically click the 'unlock' button for my car and listen for the beep.
I realize now that I should've left home earlier if I wanted a good parking spot, fore my car was still a block away. I hobble forward, putting most of my weight on cars and make my way towards my car as fast as I can. 'I take my eyes off the ground for one second—One second!' I internally curse at myself as the throbbing in my foot increases.
"Finally," I sigh in relief as I near the headlights of my white Sedan. Before I could even touch my car door, somebody from behind kicks me to the ground.
I gasp as I crash to the ground and grunt in frustration. I turn my head to see what jerk had the audacity to trip an injured woman...But I see nothing. I furrow my eyebrows and scramble to my feet—well, foot— and search for my 'attacker' under cars, but there's nothing. My heart is currently beating out of my chest like you saw on looney tunes as a kid, or at least that's what it felt like as I whip my head in all directions. The sound of someone's sadistic chuckle is mixed with my heavy breathing as I limp faster towards my car while stupidly exclaiming "Psycho!"
I let out a breath of relief as I hop into my car and lock the doors. I know I should be getting the hell out of here, but my curiosity gets the best of me and I end up looking around for a face, I want to know who my attacker is.
"Looking for something Q?" A deep voice says from the backseat, startling me. I frantically look in my rear view mirror to meet a pair of pure black eyes, and my blood curdling scream is all you can hear from blocks away.
-•-
Welcome readers, to my new book.
Thanks you for taking interest!
~ Mckenzie