Chapter 1: Say Something

Say something, I'm giving up on you

I'll be the one if you want me to

Anywhere I would've followed you

Say something, I'm giving up on you

Nessa Faeldon sings her heart out in the Love Boat Bar in Promenade, Kamari, Santorini, Greece. It's her second night in this island and she agreed to meet up with her business mentor, Peter Rosales, who also happened to be in this island with some of their workmates for a business conference. After a round of cocktails and beer post dinner, Nessa was convinced by Peter to sing rockeoke with him. She chose the song "Say Something" by Christina Aguilera and A Great Big World. Nessa is a great singer and she and Peter blended well. However, her thoughts flit over to Jesse Herman, her childhood bestfriend, karaoke partner and love of her life. Her husband whom she left back in the Philippines. The man whose calls, Facetime requests and messages she continued to ignore. Jesse Herman is the man she loved her entire life and yet, he has never loved her back. As to how they ended up married, well, it was an arranged marriage courtesy of both their parents. In hindsight, that marriage was a big mistake.

As the song ended, Nessa and Peter were met with applause from Peter's officemates and even the Greek locals and other tourists. Some even approached them for an encore but Nessa graciously declined.

They both went back to the bar and ordered appetizers and another round of cocktails.

Peter shoved a piece of dakos which is a Greek version of bruschetta into his mouth before chugging from his glass of Fix, a Grecian beer.

"So, Nessa. Tell me. Why that song?" Peter asks as Nessa sips from a glass of Ouzito which is the Grecian version of the mojito.

Nessa stares at him with a credulous and questioning look and laughs. "It's complicated, Peter."

Peter didn't budge. "You don't see me going anywhere. Besides, I've got time in the world. In all the times I've known you in the office, this would be my first time seeing you unwind. You seem vulnerable and at the same time, approachable. Unlike at home, you'd be all business."

"That is something that I'm trying to change. However, I seem unsuccessful in the process." Nessa says as she gestures towards the sexy, scantily-clad women who just entered the bar.

Peter snorts. "You don't have to be like them. You're better off being you." He stares at her appreciatively but Nessa ignores it.

"Thanks." Nessa responds as she attempts to avoid his gaze. "Okay. Seems like there's no changing this topic. Fine. I'll tell you. I'm married."

"What?" Peter was aghast. "You're kidding me, right?"

"Nope. It's totally true. I am married." Nessa holds up her wedding ring.

"To whom?!" Peter asks. He can't believe it. He was hoping to ask Nessa out on a date once their mentoring sessions have ended to avoid conflict of interest.

"You know him. His name is Jesse Herman. You might have seen him visit me at the office a few times."

Jesse Herman. Son of Sen. Michael Herman and Hon. Alicia Herman. Wait. He's her childhood bestfriend. Plus, he has a girlfriend. Or girlfriends. Jesse was known to date more than one woman at the same time. He had a reputation for being a player.

"Oooookkkkaaaay." Peter shakes his head as he processes this. "Why isn't he here with you?"

Nessa sighs. "Because I left him."

"Why?" Peter wanted to know. If Nessa left Jesse, then maybe once this marriage dies down, he might still have a chance with her.

Nessa juts out her chin and proceeds to down the contents of the Ouzito. "Dahil hindi nya ako mahal at kahit kailan, hinding hindi nya ako mamahalin." She looks like she was about to cry.