09: The Ruined & the Ruiner

brief author's note: I will be using gifs to protray Annie's character through the chapters, from now on, but will continue to make collages—just without Annie in them. thanks! enjoy chapter nine.
___________________________

SOTC: twice — little dragon

Annie gasped awake. She managed to sit up from the freezing ice water, and slowly take in the things around her. On both sides of her laid her friends, strangely, all awaking at the same time. Stiles had trouble catching his breath, but Scott worked with him to get his breathing under control.

However, it was the strange sight that surrounded Annie that concerned her the most. It resembled a never ending abyss that was a pure white; so white, it was almost blinding. On the ceiling hung glowing white lights, that were even more illuminating than the walls and floors.

All four teenagers stood from their pools of water and touched their cold feet against the soft floor. It was bouncy, almost, like a cloud. Annie watched her foot sink into the plush flooring, like jumping on a bed.

No one spoke. Annie wasn't even sure that the others could see her, but with time and panic, it became clear they were all in a different universe. The sacrifice had worked.

From nowhere, a giant tree stump appeared meters ahead. It was like it poofed from thin air. Stiles reached over and gently laced his hand with Annie's, steadying her heartbeat and attempting to calm his own. Slowly, they began to make their way towards the moss covered, dirt worn, decaying wood stump in the middle of the pure white room.

 Slowly, they began to make their way towards the moss covered, dirt worn, decaying wood stump in the middle of the pure white room

When they were each close enough to touch it, Annie was suddenly thrown forward. Her head almost collided into the wood before being switched into an alternate reality. The white room was in slow motion as it faded into the woods surrounding the back of her house. A large, bright moon lit up in the sky. She could hear the calls of despair from her mother as Annie ventured into the dark woods.

"I'll be fine! I just want to check it out!" Annie shouted back at her mother, immersing herself behind the dense trees.

It was like time was replaying itself. Annie watched as she, herself, trudged her way through the forest, many nights ago, when she first visited Allison in Beacon Hills. Annie shuffled through the woods, attempting to keep up with her other self. Her old self was careless of the creatures lurking in the night.