Chapter 1

Heart pounding. Sweat dripping. Side throbbing. Keep running.

"YOU GOT THIS!"

"LETS GO!"

"YOU'RE ALMOST THERE!"

"KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE!"

"YOUR DOING GREAT!"

A few more steps, and I'm there. I'm ahead of the pack, and I'm gonna do it.

The crunch of leaves and patting on the soft, dirty ground multiplies. It's not just me I can hear. The sound grows louder, as another pair of feet approaches closer.

Soon, I can hear it right next to me.

I glance to my right. I see a guy who appears to be my age. Light brown hair that seems to be golden, muscles that bulge out of his arms and legs, and a smile. Not just a smile, a grin. A grin that proves you wrong. One that screams, you lose, it's over, I win.

In a second, I saw brightness and the blue sky. I was out of the woods. Just like that, I crossed the line. With the guy still in front of me.

It's over. I lose. He wins. It's amazing how your dream can be shattered into a million pieces, like a hammer forcefully hitting a glass window. In only a second.

I could've been the champion. I could've been the state cross country champion. I could've been the first female to be the state cross country champion.

The water found its way to the bottom of my eyes. Tears were eager to pour out of them, but I frantically blinked them back. Even though I was a loser, I refused to look like one.

"Good job." The boy smiled, still panting trying to catch his breath. The smile was more sincere this time, almost like he really meant it.

I lowered my head and glared at him. Does he think I'm stupid? He literally just took my victory away from me in a matter of seconds. I was definitely not going to respond to him. Therefore, I walked away to my parents.

"You did great Alyssa!" My mom said, pulling me into a hug and kissing the top of my head, as her shoulder length, yellowish-blonde hair hovered over my head.

"We are so proud of you!" My dad exclaimed. Opening up his arms, gesturing for me to hug him as well. He wasn't holding me as tight as mom did, since he was a thinner man.

I quickly pulled out of his grip, like his shirt was a hot potato.

"Let's just review what happened because you obviously missed it. I lost. In the very last second of my run, that dude passed me." I grunted. How could they be so proud of a loser?

"Honey, it's okay. You finished second! This year, you've done an amazing job. In every race, you've finished in the top three." My mother reminded me.

"She's right. We couldn't have asked for anything better." Dad chimed in.

"Yes, you could have. I could have been the first female in DECADES to be the state champion and move on to nationals." I spat. They just have no idea.

"Of course you could have, but there's always next year." Dad half-smiled, attempting to comfort me. Not really working.

Next year, I'll have to do it all over again. Weeks of hardcore training, several days of many meets. And in my meets, if I have a bad day, I can't just redo them. I just can't.

"Honey, go over there. They're handing out ribbons." Mom pointed to a large tent with blue and white stripes.

As I walked over, the boy approached me again. This time I could make out his ocean blue eyes filled with sincere.

"Your pretty good for a girl." He smirked evilly, suddenly changing the mood.

"What happened to being so sincere?" I replied sarcastically.

"Well, when I congratulated you, you gave me the evil eye. And when I came up to you to say it again, you didn't look very enthusiastic to talk to me." He laughed.

"Do you really think I would be enthusiastic to talk to you when you stole MY title?" I rolled my eyes.

"The name is Mason. Mason Reely." He responded, not even answering my rhetorical question like I thought he would.

"I never asked for your name." I rolled my eyes.

"And yours?"

"Why would I tell you?" I narrowed my eyes, still looking forward, and walking faster to the tent so I could stop talking to him and leave him.

Metal seats were lined up perfectly in the tent and several were already taken. I took the one in the front row furthest to the left.

"In fifth place, sixteen year old Jacob Prise!" The tall, scrawny, grey-haired man announced holding out a purple ribbon for Jacob to take. People were applauding and stopped after he sat back down.

"In fourth place, seventeen year old Caleb Morfans!" The man said, this time holding a green ribbon, going through the same procedure.

"In third, we have Lance Treinen!" He said, giving lance a yellow ribbon.

"In second place, we have a female! At age fifteen, Miss Alyssa Daniels!" He said, holding out a red ribbon as I walked up to the table as he handed me the red ribbon. The red ribbon represented defeat. It represented some guy is better than I am.

"And in first, our new STATE champion, is sixteen year old Mason Reely!" The man announced in a voice that sounded like a game show host.

Mason winked at me on his way back to his seat, but turned to take a seat next to me.

"Alyssa Daniels." Mason smiled. "I'm going to call you Lissy." He laughed. Not just any laugh, a laugh that reassured me this wouldn't be the last time we'll see each other.