Chapter 2

-1 year later-

I looked in the mirror at my reflection. I looked like a runner. My bleach blonde hair that went down to my chest was put up in a ponytail. I had a thin, Nike headband. I was wearing a slick, blue tank top and black, tight yoga pants that went down to the top of my knees.

This is my first meet of the new season.

I am sixteen now. My parents are in Hawaii for a week for their anniversary, so I can drive myself to the meet.

---

I pulled into the grassy spot the people in bright orange directed me to go. In my car, I took a deep breath.

I am a good runner, and I can do this.

I opened my car door and got out.

"Alyssa!" Bridget squealed as she hugged me tight before I could look around.

"Bridget!" I giggled. "Long time, no see. How's homeschooling going?" I asked her. I looked at her. She hadn't changed much from when I last saw her at our meet last season. We've had practices, but she was gone on a vacation to Florida to visit her grandparents. She still had the same little amount of scattered freckles on each side of her nose, same dark brown hair, and same hazel eyes.

Bridget had been my best. friend since the third grade. I had been the new kid, scared and shy. She asked me if I wanted to play with her on the swing set for recess and sit beside her at lunch. Without any doubts, I said yes. Throughout the years, I respected her more and more. She was kind, accepting, and honest. What more could you ask for? In ninth grade, her dad died in a car accident. That was all Bridget told me, and I never asked for details. Her dad was also very kind; he was like a second dad to me. I cried, but Bridget was the most upset. She didn't attend school for weeks, and she was too upset to talk with anyone. Her mother decided to homeschool her, so she could move on with school and not break down in class with twenty kids. To this day, she's still not over his death, but she still participates in cross country because she enjoys it and gets to see me.

"Homeschooling is good." She smiled. "I might come back to school next year." She added.

"Really?! That's great!" I replied, jumping up and down.

"I know. Enough about me. Lets talk about you! How does it feel to place second for the entire state?"

"It feels good. But honestly, I am pretty upset that I was beat in the last second." I sighed.

"You're so ungrateful!" She giggled, playfully punching me in the arm.

"Yeah, yeah." I smiled. "We should probably find our team so we can start to warm up."

"You're probably right. Let's go." She turned, leading the way.

We walked past the parking lot, or should I say, a little grass field filled with cars, until Bridget said something that caught completely off guard.

"Oh my gosh! Isn't he cute?" She whispered loudly to me, pointing at a guy with light brown hair and muscular arms and legs. Wait, a guy with light brown hair and muscular arms and legs?

He turned around.

"Oh my god..." I said out loud. It was Mason.

"I know, right?!" She exclaimed, unaware of the fact I wasn't talk about his 'hotness'.