Chapter 4

"Need some help?" I heard a familiar voice ask. I could feel the person crouching over me, panting from running. I could feel the breaths on my face. I opened my eyes to see Mason.

"I--" I paused. I didn't want him to help me, let alone see me like this. How am I supposed to look intimidating to him if I'm just laying on the ground like an injured little puppy dog?

But who am I kidding? I needed help.

"Yeah..." I frowned. God, this was embarrassing. My body started to tremble, and my lips stayed curled into a frown like there was a string on either end tugging them down.

Don't cry. At least, not here, and not in front of him.

I put my hand out as Mason wrapped his hand around mine. His hands were large, and warm. They felt good. They weren't sweaty compared to the rest of his body. He pulled me up so I was standing.

Once I took a step on my own, I knew I couldn't walk by myself. My right leg was too sore to put weight on it. Apparently Mason could tell too.

"Don't be shy." He smirked as he took my arm and placed it over is shoulders. As we walked, I looked over at him. He seemed concentrated on moving forward. Then he noticed I was staring at him. As soon as his eyes met mine, I quickly turned my head back and looked forwards.

"Why are you doing this?" I blurted out as two girls and one boy passed us.

"What?"

"Why are you risking your rank on helping me?" I asked him, making eye contact with him.

"... Well, if I were you, I wouldn't want to sit on the ground battered up for a decade." He laughed.

"Okay..." I said a bit confused. Why would he care how I felt? Especially for what he did to me in the finals last year.

"Yeah..." He responded quietly. "So how did... this happen?"

"A black and yellow chick pushed me down." I said a bit reluctantly. I didn't want him to think I wasn't strong.

Wait, why do I care what he thinks?

Almost ten minutes into the walk, we were silent. We didn't say a single word to each other. I pretending to be fascinated by the other runners to make it less awkward. I didn't see Bridget though. She was probably a little further behind. She had never been the fastest, but she could run forever.

To my luck, a four wheeler that escorted the first placer came down the path and found me and Mason.

"Thanks." I half-smiled, trying to show more toughness than sincerity to Mason.

"No prob." He half-smiled back. Actually it was more like a three fourths smile, because it was a little bit more of warm-hearted smile.

Mason took off, nearly sprinting. Not away from me, but to catch up as much as he could. One of the men in the four wheeler brought out the first aid kid and bandaged up my knee. Then they asked questions about what happened and how I was feeling. I told them the story, and thankfully, the Columbus team, the black and yellow team, got disqualified.

Yes!

But what will happen to me?